Lesson/Camp
10 posts
7 users
1k+ views
David
June 28, 2004
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I am looking for a good intermediate ski lesson/camp at a resort to go to this winter. I would like to go to something that is 3-5 days long. I was wandering if these are worth it, and if not what would be worth it in the lesson area. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thank you!
Roy
June 29, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I don't know of any intermediate camps for men. Most of the ones I've heard of are mostly expert. There are quite a few for women that I've read about in the magazines before.

What are you looking for out of the camp? Are you looking for the comradierie of having fellow skiers at your level over the same time period? Or are you looking for the same instructor to help you and see your development over those days?
Roy
June 29, 2004
609 posts
I just did a quick search on google. In the first 4 pages, I only found one potential camp for intermediates at Taos, NM. Everything else was expert, kids, or women.

http://www.skitaos.org/SKI_SCHOOL/ski_camps.php
JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 29, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
That's kind of funny about Taos. Anybody who goes there for an intermediate camp will be advancing to expert real quick because it is quite a challenging mountain.
JohnL
June 29, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Check out some of the programs offered by the Roffe Training Center at Roundtop (http://www.skiroundtop.com/rts.htm). Some of the posters here have said good things about a few of the courses. They aren't on consecutive days like a camp, but they are weekly/multi-day.

Consider taking several group/private lessons with some of the local instructors who post on this board. Roy, Otto and Physics Man (Tom) are three that I'm aware of. You don't need a camp to get quality instruction.
myrto
June 29, 2004
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
I believe they had many available programs like that at Mont Tremblant, Which isn't exactly local but is much closer than Taos.
warren
June 29, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
David,
I also don't know of local, dedicated "camps". I can tell you that they have things like that at Whistler. Snowshoe mountain has specialty clinics offered (2 hours in length). I've taken several bumps clinics with Rob Mayhan (spelling?)and have had a blast and he's given me some really good advice! [Big Grin]

-Warren-
David
June 29, 2004
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Roy,
When I said camp I really couldn't think of another good word to use. What I meant is a clinic kind of thing that I could go to that I could learn some new things and become more of an advanced skier.
Roy
June 30, 2004
609 posts
Ok. Then you can get quality instruction from almost anywhere. Of course you can get bad instruction from almost anywhere too.

If you went somewhere local for a few days in a row, you can get lessons from groups to privates. If you want something that is more personalized, the privates are the way to go. And you can always ask for the same instructor if you want that consistency. And the instructor will like the request (as some places only pay the instructor when they teach).

Bigger resorts seem to advertise half-day and full-day "camps" which are just big group lessons. Once again, you can always ask for the same instructor if you take these lessons 3 days in a row. However, the lessons will probably not be as progressive as regular camps or private lessons.
snowcone
June 30, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
The specialty clinics at Snowshoe are some of the best deals around ... especially during the week. We usually go up on a Thurs evening and do clinics Friday and Sunday afternoons. [Saturday is a madhouse so we usually ski 'off hours' like 1st tracks, lunch hours, late afternoon.] For $35 for 2 hours it can't be beat. General there are only 1 or 2 other persons in the group and, on many occasions, we have been the only person in our respective 'groups' making it, in essence, a private lesson. All of their specialty instructors have at least their PSIA Level 2 with most their Level 3, and in multiple disciplines.
Maybe this would work for you.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?