Too early for Christmas week Weather F-Cast?
13 posts
6 users
4k+ views
fishnski
December 8, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
For two Days now I keep seeing this Nice Storm early in X-mas Week with good Winter temps up to the big day....am I just Dreaming of a White Christmas?...Can you investigate L-Ski?
David
December 8, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Give me your forecast for the 19th. BIG things going down that day...
fishnski
December 8, 2009
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: David
Give me your forecast for the 19th. BIG things going down that day...

Won't be good Running weather that day...especially draggin a heavy Ball & Chain grin..That your big Day David?
David
December 8, 2009
2,444 posts
Sure is. Hopefully I'll make it at least a week or 2 before I starting dragging that ball and chain around. We'll see......
fishnski
December 10, 2009
3,530 posts
Too early for details but I'm betting on great conditions for the whole east coast..So since my camp is rented up in Canaan Me & betterhalfski just booked 5 nites up at Gore Mountain,NY..that will just leave Whiteface as my last notch on my skis to do...we might make the drive up there for a day to complete the east coast tour though.
Enjoy this weather run..Jan thaw season could be coming!(EEK Funny face)
David
December 10, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski

A joke or is it looking that way?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Too early for details but I'm betting on great conditions for the whole east coast..So since my camp is rented up in Canaan Me & betterhalfski just booked 5 nites up at Gore Mountain,NY..that will just leave Whiteface as my last notch on my skis to do...we might make the drive up there for a day to complete the east coast tour though.

Have fun in NY. Apply your legendary forecasting skills to be sure to pick the coldest, most windy day for Whiteface. You want the authentic experience. grin
In all seriousness, Whiteface is a very impressive mountain.
Here's a link to some deals at Whiteface: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2009/12/9/Super-Sundays-Back-at-Whiteface-Mountain/
BTW, Gore should be great too. New developments there since my long ago visit.
fishnski
December 10, 2009
3,530 posts
Like Snowsmith remarked a month or so ago David when we were talkin Pattern Changes..."No great weather run lasts more than 2 to 3 weeks here in the mid atl". That would bring the end of this cool/snowy spell to an end by x-mass or shortly after...can we Buck this trend?..can we beat the Infamous Jan Thaw??..ski minds want to know dad blam it!

You Know I'm Mental Mr.K..why would you stoke my "Special" mind with legendary weather folklore kind of remarks sick crazy...Anyway..Gore has been improving quite a bit in the last few years as you say & a NY Mag Article calls the area "A sleeping Giant" in the NE & that with the final design to be completed soon they will have the 5th greatest Vert on the east coast (2500'?) Its up from 2100 to 2300 right now..I will have to go back & read your report JimK...

PS..the trail map makes it look like there is a back Bowl or two..Mini Vail?
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
What gives...I think they had more snow in south Texas than we're had here! We seem to be in the infamous "snow hole" ...it is snowing all around us and while we've gotten a little to tease us, I want a BIG dump.
The cold temps will allow some round-the-clock snow making, though. We need a big storm or a prolonged period of lake effect fluff.
The pattern change took about 2 weeks. Hopefully we'll have 2 - 3 weeks of cold weather before the pattern shifts back to the westerly pattern. As soon as those storms start coming on shore in mid-Pacific, it seems to be a sign that the pattern is shifting.
skier219
December 10, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Like always, get it while you can -- shoot for the earliest day with "good enough" weather. I have been burned by the "I'll go next week" or "I'll wait for perfect snow/sun/temperature" mentality more times than I care to remember.
fishnski
December 14, 2009
3,530 posts
For two Days now I keep seeing this Nice Storm early in X-mas Week with good Winter temps up to the big day....am I just Dreaming of a White Christmas?...Can you investigate L-Ski?..12-8-09

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&article=1
fishnski
December 20, 2009
3,530 posts
Ok..We got the Early X-mass week storm But the X-mass storm I was so hoping for has decided to drop down from the pac nw & make the perfect trac like we thought towards us..Then make this UGLY turn north towards the Great Lakes which as all you'all know brings warm air towards us cry..With all the Snow we have I'm hoping that the Damage will be minimal & with the Backside Cold & Snow coming back later on X-mass eve/Night with the Snow showers that they bring we will forget the storm quickly..I'm heading up to Gore,Ny & even up there they will feel the warm shot before the goodness comes back. I was holding out hope that a coastal Low would Develop to ease the pain but that Idea ..or storm seems weak.

Halfski told me that the Chances of two back to back storms were Slim & slimer..+ the fact that..As Comprex likes to point out..The -NAO is trending Nuetral...Could be a lot worse!..No sign of a Jan thaw yet!
JohnL
December 20, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Yo Mr. Fish,

I feel your pain, but...

2 feet of fresh light pow. Nicely but, baseage = suckage for early seasonage. (For T-Line, don't matter, mid station is still rockin'. mad )

Some NCP falls from Almost Heaven (not enough *knock, knock* to significantly erode the base.) Key is *knock, knock*. I'm wid you there.

Permafrost forms. Tundra. Glacier Express. laugh

Major dumpage follows, layered upon permafrost. cool

John L. takes rock skis into the belly of the wooden beast, and no base damage. That is French for damage. Drags Jimmy, Kim, Rob, Rod, Jim K, and David in, and they are happy. Denis writes the trip report. Life is good. Happy, happy, joy. joy.

John L thinks, this dosn't suck too badly. Buys Mr. Fish numerous beers at Timbers. Mr. Fish happy. John L is happy. (Tucker still b!tchin'.) Life is good.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.