15 posts
7 users
8k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 17, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Gatherings Thread
Although it's kind of early, thought I'd start this thread for planning and discussion purposes as the winter unfolds.
For openers I'll list three fun opportunities that I can immediately think of as potential occasions for gatherings of DCSkiers, but all suggestions, questions, and expressions of interest/participation are welcome. We may want to initiate dedicated threads closer to meeting dates if logistics get complicated. These are all unofficial and not sponsored by or the responsibility of DCSki in any way.
Regards, JimK

Dec 13, 2009, Wisp, MD, Birthday Special day trip with $7 lift ticket pricing, also reduced price eqmt rentals, pay as you go, meet on the hill. They always seem to have a decent amount of terrain open for this.

Feb 20 & 21, 2010, Blue Knob, PA, DCSki/Epicski weekend event, last year this drew a very good crowd with some sharing slopeside accommodations requiring advance reservations and coordination, others met with the group on the hill one or both days. Some skied together for a third day.

Mar 20 & 21, 2010, Timberline, WV, Snowy Luau Weekend, some discount spring pricing might be available. Last year participants arranged their own lodging and met on the hill one or both days.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I'll definately be at Blue Knob.

The Snowy Luau is looking good too. We had a great time last year. So much so that I dragged Marcus down to close the place. He maybe recovered enough from knee replacement to do both.

I'll wait and see about the Wisp Birthday.

I think it's a good idea to post the dates early. That give us all a lot of time to plan. Thanks Jim.
kwillg6
November 17, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I wanna do the BK thing this year. Heard so much about last year. Rock skis the order of the day?
Luau is a must. The sonw is the best then and the beer is the coldest!
David
November 17, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Nice! It looks like I'll be able to make the Luau. Spring Break is the week after. I'll see ya there!!
tskski
November 17, 2009
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Been going to the Wisp B-day last couple of years. If the snow is there, I'll be there.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Jim,
Count me in for BK! Let me know what I can do to help.
Also will be at Snowy Luau.
The Colonel smile
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 30, 2010
2,964 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
Gatherings Thread

Feb 20 & 21, 2010, Blue Knob, PA, DCSki/Epicski weekend event, last year this drew a very good crowd with some sharing slopeside accommodations requiring advance reservations and coordination, others met with the group on the hill one or both days. Some skied together for a third day.

A group of us are going to be staying at this slopeside house at Blue Knob on Fri and Sat nights Feb 19 and 20, 2010:
http://www.blueknobchalet.com/pages/description.aspx

We have room for about five more folks in the following sleeping arrangements:

-there may be two upper level individual bedrooms available, each with a queen/double bed. Each bedroom would be good for a couple, cost would be $200 per couple for the two nights.
-there may be up to three individual bunk beds available in bunkrooms on the lower level for a cost of $100 per for the two nights.

Let me know if you are interested in joining us for the weekend. Last year there were as many as two dozen friendly overnighters and day-skiers joining forces at this fun event. Overnight housemates did meals in a very economical pot-luck manner. We may have the opportunity for early check-in on Friday and get three full ski days if desired.
Regards, Jim K.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 6, 2010
2,964 posts
Blue Knob reporting 27-28" new snow today. Let me know if anyone wants to join us in a couple weeks. See lodging offer posted earlier in this thread.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 15, 2010
2,964 posts
Got beds for two or three more people. Send me PM or post here if interested in joining us for one ($50) or both nights ($100) slopeside accommodations 2/19 and 20. For that price we'll also feed you and beer you.

If you can only make it for day skiing, let us know if you want to take some runs together. Conditions remain superb. Skied all over the mountain yesterday.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 17, 2010
2,964 posts
Bumping this one last time. Still have a couple vacancies. Conditions are exceptional at BK right now. They are likely to get a few more inches of snow today and tomorrow, with weather clearing and moderating over the weekend making for safe driving and great skiing.
David
February 22, 2010
2,444 posts
So....lets see some pictures!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 22, 2010
2,964 posts
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound?

If a ski trip is so good no one takes the time to post about it does that make it unreal? Whatever. grin Here's a link to some photos on epicski.
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/92359/mid-atlantic-gtg-blue-knob-feb-20-21-2010#post_1197609

It was great up there. We missed you.
jimmy
February 22, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
100's of photos and HOURS of helmetcamvidio will prolly take a while to edit and post. Blue Knob is a blast, ski good or eat wood.

It was great up there. We missed you.
David
February 22, 2010
2,444 posts
Yeah, I bet the conditions were much better than last year. Wish I could have made it frown
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 23, 2010
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Really sweet, I love being spoiled but BK will always throw down some challenge. See you next year or come up and Spring ski, it should be sublime, warm temps, soft snow and long days. Let's hear it for March skiing.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.