Longest Run in Mid-Atlantic
17 posts
12 users
5k+ views
GRK
November 15, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
So what trails in the Mid-Atlantic offer the longest stretch of uninterrupted skiing?
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 15, 2009
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
According to my records, some of the longer trails in the region include:

Snowshoe: 1.5 miles
Canaan Valley: 1.25 miles
Timberline: 2 miles
Wisp: 1.5 miles
Sugar Mountain: 1.5 miles
Winterplace: 1.25 miles
Wintergreen: 1.4 miles
Bear Creek: 1.4 miles
Blue Knob: 1.7 miles
Blue Mountain: 1.2 miles
Elk Mountain: 1.75 miles
Sno Mountain: 1.2 miles
Seven Springs: 1.25 miles
Big Bear: 1.5 miles

I'm not sure which trails correspond to these lengths, and I'm not 100% sure this data is completely accurate, or that all of these could be defined as "uninterrupted skiing."

But based on the above, Timberline might have the longest trail, followed by Elk Mountain and Blue Knob.
GRK
November 15, 2009
404 posts
Thanks Scott! One more reason I need to get to Timberline. BTW like the addition of the Resort Tweets.
bawalker
November 16, 2009
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Timberline's Salamander (green) I believe is right at 2 miles and is truly uninterrupted. While there is the merging of Off The Wall and The Drop those merges don't force you to come to a complete halt stop, and start again. That's the trail I learned to snowboard on!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Scott's list looks about right. Salamander might be the mid-Atlantic champ in this category. Blue Knob used to list Mambo Alley as two miles, but maybe Scott's number (1.7) is a more up-to-date and realistic statistic.
The longest run with a consistent advanced pitch in the region is probably Cupp Run at Snowshoe.
I touched on this topic in a 2003 article: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=357&mode=search
kwillg6
November 16, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: bawalker
Timberline's Salamander (green) I believe is right at 2 miles and is truly uninterrupted. While there is the merging of Off The Wall and The Drop those merges don't force you to come to a complete halt stop, and start again. That's the trail I learned to snowboard on!

The only thing making you come to a complete stop is a stiff wind out of the Northwest.
frown
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Originally Posted By: bawalker

I did it a few times when starting to snowboard and I think it is a horrible snowboard trail. The first big turn (Windy Corner) kept sucking me into the woods, much to the amusement of my buddy Chip who happened by and loudly announced "Look at Denis being sucked into the woods" for the edification of all within sight and sound. Beginning snowboarders need more pitch than Salamander and no sidehill.
KeithT
November 16, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Skied Blue Mountain last year and they have 3 trails on skier's right that are close to a mile long with no intersections until the bottom. Two are blacks. No Shays or Cup, but still long runs and I suspect as long as anything at T-line or Elk. Dito to Jimk's article on the Nut, Diamond Jim and Paradise would probably make the top ten longest AND uninterupted. Not sure some the other resorts listed by Scott would have runs that make the list, certainly not Wintergreens and some of the other resorts have a fair number of intersections in the trail layout.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
[quote=The only thing making you come to a complete stop is a stiff wind out of the Northwest.
frown [/quote]
AMEN!! If the wind is from the North or Northwest, the first and second turns on Sally will stop you cold...no pun intended, if you do not carry a lot of speed. Speed and beginners and a green trail do not normally go together.
The Colonel smile
GRK
November 22, 2009
404 posts
Thanks all for the input. Looking at SKI STATS I can see that the HighLands Express Liftline is about 3600 feet...roughly half of that 1.4 miles. Taking the most circuitous route down I do not see you being able to double that. Maybe if you take loggers alley and shoot across Dobie then down The Gap but who the hell wants to do that? Unless maybe you need to stop for a beer along the way.

Most likely 1.4 mile route at WTG? Top of Big Acorn to bottom of Highlands via The Gap. There are a lot of choke points and intersections along the way. WTG has some nice respectable runs in The Highlands that look to be about a mile. For Virgina...not bad.
SkiBadger
November 23, 2009
Member since 10/9/2009 🔗
31 posts
Originally Posted By: GRK
Thanks all for the input. Looking at SKI STATS Most likely 1.4 mile route at WTG? Top of Big Acorn to bottom of Highlands via The Gap. There are a lot of choke points and intersections along the way. WTG has some nice respectable runs in The Highlands that look to be about a mile. For Virgina...not bad.

I assume you probably mean Eagles Swoop to X Trail to Dobie to the Highlands via the Gap? This is kinda pushing the "no interruptions," but yes, probably is the 1.4 mile route. While it technically would be longer, Big Acorn would require a lift segment; thus a looooonnng interruption.
GRK
November 23, 2009
404 posts
Originally Posted By: SkiBadger
Originally Posted By: GRK
Thanks all for the input. Looking at SKI STATS Most likely 1.4 mile route at WTG? Top of Big Acorn to bottom of Highlands via The Gap. There are a lot of choke points and intersections along the way. WTG has some nice respectable runs in The Highlands that look to be about a mile. For Virgina...not bad.

I assume you probably mean Eagles Swoop to X Trail to Dobie to the Highlands via the Gap? This is kinda pushing the "no interruptions," but yes, probably is the 1.4 mile route. While it technically would be longer, Big Acorn would require a lift segment; thus a looooonnng interruption.

We are on the same page. Lots of interruptions but that is how they get the 1.4 miles in I guess.

Better Plan:
1) Do laps in the Highlands with that nice high speed lift. 2) Stop at Checkerberry Cabin for a break and have a beer. 3) Repeat until dark
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
It is not a bad run to go from the top of highands, cut back on loggers alley, continue on dobie, across to the gap, and down devils elbow. Might possibly be 1.4M on one lift. In fact it is such an extremely long run that you might want to cut it a bit short and stop at checkerberry for replenishment before continuing. Sort of like skiing in the Alps, I suppose.

What do you call apres-ski in the middle of the day ?
jimmy
November 24, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: pagamony

Mid day Apres what a novel idea!

If we're going to patch runs together, I'd like to nominate Upper Almost Everthing at Timberline grin.
kwillg6
November 24, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I agree with Jimmy. Upper Almost Everything... groomers to glades to groomers to glades and to the lift. Dozens of lines but must be a pow-pow day to get the most enjoyment. You'll hear us yelping and hee-hawing as we make run after run. grin
Steve
November 24, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts

Alcoholism!
GRK
November 24, 2009
404 posts
It is not a bad run to go from the top of highands, cut back on loggers alley, continue on dobie, across to the gap, and down devils elbow.

Actually...that sounds like a good idea. Especially during the week when Dobie is not that busy. Have not tried that one yet. Meanwhile...I gotta get to Timberline this year.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?