I can't believe it's here!!!
11 posts
10 users
3k+ views
scootertig
November 5, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Seven Springs sent an e-mail saying they're hoping to make snow tonight. My first "Snow Report" in my inbox this season.

BRING IT ON!!!

aaron
comprex
November 5, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Soooooo eeeeeeT!
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 5, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,578 posts
Their web cams are looking at the golf course, Hopefully they'll turn on the slope cams.
Current long range weather doesn't look like snow making weather until the 16th.
Taylormatt
November 5, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Why? It's going to be 65* & sunny Sunday and Monday.

Test the guns tonight, sure. Call it snow making? No. But then again, that's how 7S rolls.

We're not looking at legitimate snow making weather until around maybe the 15th.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 5, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts
I've been told it's called blowing out the mice. Mice like to build nests inside the hoses as they lie unused on the ground in summer.
Taylormatt
November 5, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
7S couldn't blow anything but water last year even in the coldest temperatures with low humidity. I highly doubt they can "make snow" tonight with marginal temps and high humidity.
Leo
November 6, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
358 posts
I tend to agree with Taylormatt here. A quick look at the 10 day forecast really makes me scratch my head.

If you want to test your guns, that's great. But don't call it snow making. And if you really are attempting to "make snow"...if I was a pass holder I would be ticked b/c you are wasting resources which is a cost that ultimately gets passed on to your customers.
SkiBadger
November 6, 2009
Member since 10/9/2009 🔗
31 posts
Wow, why so much hate for 7springs? Granted, I haven't done too much skiing there, but as I recall, when Snowshoe began there snow-making about 2-3 weeks ago, there wasn't this much ridicule, despite an immediate warm-up following the publicity stunt, snow gun test, or whatever you want to call it.
Ullr
November 6, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Originally Posted By: SkiBadger
Wow, why so much hate for 7springs?

I don't think anyone is hating on the Springs, just stating that they are not going to start making snow. It will be more like a test of the systems.
David
November 6, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Check out Snowshoe's Facebook. They've got some pics and videos of the past few days of snowmaking. Pretty sweet stuff!! (Oh yeah, you've gotta be a member of Facebook.)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/snowshoe.mountain?ref=nf

Their website: http://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain/dailyPhotos.htm
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 7, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
780 posts
Even if only "blowing out the mice," it's always good to see snowmaking come to life each season. And to be fair to 7S, this is what their website says:

We will be trying to make snow tonight as conditions permit! This early season snowmaking will test the system and usher in what looks to be a fantastic season ahead!!! ...

A new video posted today (Friday, November 6) indeed shows the snow guns in action. I agree with scootertig: Bring it on!

Woody
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?