Positive Snow cover = Positve Winter?
6 posts
3 users
1k+ views
fishnski
October 27, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_daily.php?ui_year=2009&ui_day=299&ui_set=2

If you look at Alaska & on down to say British Columbia you can see what the Long range F-casts have been aluding to..warm(red) on the western fringe with cold dropping down east.If the pattern stays that way The mid Atl should be fine this year!..allthough the Olimpics over in SW Canada might have some issues..lets hope not.
Lots of Snow cover in northern Asia..hope our side fills in to seal in that Cold!...Arctic Ice has been Hiccuping lately but hope to see a solid Ice sheet by early Nov to aid the Cold blasts we need down the road...have a good day..& think Positive!
David
October 27, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 27, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Originally Posted By: David

Fantastic place. I have done 2 ski weeks there.
fishnski
October 27, 2009
3,530 posts
Thats the cold blast that I posted about awhile back.."Dropping down out west..then heading east"..Our Rockies will be next..Anyway there will always be breaks in the pattern. Spread that Winter Wealth Mama N.!!..I plan on hitting Whistler one day in the future..Might not ever make it to Fernie but it sure looks good right now up there!

Edit to add...Looks like that Red(Neg)from AK on down should turn Blue(Pos)on tomorrows map..Keep on gettin it!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 27, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Fernie is 3 hrs. drive from Calgary. The terrain is as good as Whistler, snow is better, it costs half as much, and there are 5 - 10% as many people on the slopes. Whistler is 1.5 hrs. drive from Vancouver and 5 from Seattle. Red Mtn. is 1.5 hrs. drive from Spokane and in all other respects very similar to Fernie. Both Fernie & Red have fantastic skiing and both have summit elevations similar to Whistler so no altitude problems. I love Whistler, but you see where I'm coming from.

In eastern Canada it is similar with respect to Tremblant. Everyone wants to go there. The eastern township resorts, Sutton, Owl's Head, Bromont, etc. are ignored, yet they have skiing that is as good or better on uncrowded slopes for half the price.
fishnski
October 31, 2009
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_daily.php?ui_year=2009&ui_day=299&ui_set=2

If you look at Alaska & on down to say British Columbia you can see what the Long range F-casts have been aluding to..warm(red) on the western fringe with cold dropping down east.If the pattern stays that way The mid Atl should be fine this year!..allthough the Olimpics over in SW Canada might have some issues..lets hope not.
Lots of Snow cover in northern Asia..hope our side fills in to seal in that Cold!...Arctic Ice has been Hiccuping lately but hope to see a solid Ice sheet by early Nov to aid the Cold blasts we need down the road...have a good day..& think Positive!

I just wanted to Edit..Olympics blush..That & the fact that after a few years of reading countless GW bunking & Debunking Theories I'm Sick of Cking out Mans Biases & would rather just read Mother Natures Bottom line info which is after all the end result of every factor.
The Arctic Ice is still below Ave but coming on at a good Pace & the Snow cover which is all too important if you want a good winter is WAYYYYY above normal....Keep on taking your Fish oils,Acai & Red Wine supplements Old Man Winter!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.