X-C Ski Question
7 posts
4 users
2k+ views
KeithT
September 29, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
My old Karhus are shot. I am looking at the XCD series---either the Guides or the 10th Mountains. What I am looking for is something that will go from the backyard, to WG, to a couple of green and blue runs at a local resort when I am bored or stuck on the easier terrain with friends or family. I would want these to be BC skis first and alpine second. The Guides look a little wider and the 10th look a little more traditional. Anyone have any thoughts on these skis or other suggestions?

Thanks as always for the sage advice.
crunchy
September 30, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
10th mountains are the best all purpose ski there is. I own a pair and love em. Guides are more of a powder xcd ski i think. 10th mountains do have some side cut so you will be fine at the resort also. Pair them with some Garmont Excursion boots and you will have the killer all-purpose setup! make sure to call WG and order a pair or perhaps buy some of last years demos.
KeithT
September 30, 2009
383 posts
Thanks for the sage advice, this is what I expected just wanted to confirm.
TGV
December 15, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
On the other hand, it may very well be a question of personal preference and style. I own the Guides, have skied them in little powder, but also in the groumed at TLine & Canaan.
I find them responsive, light, yes wide but fun, and climbing like a charm.
Highly versatile - even on icy conditions.
KeithT
December 15, 2009
383 posts
Too late, wife already pulled the trigger on the 10th Mountains for my B-day. But your picture of the Guides had me drooling--like looking at a beer ad with a frosted mug and an over flowing head ready for consumption. Nice shots.
TGV
December 15, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
smile Thanks for the positive.
I am sure that you will like your 10th mountain... many friends have commented on how versatile that ski is as well.
Happy BD!!!
scottyb
December 29, 2009
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
Get some Guides any way, they rock.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.