new route to Canaan Valley
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
myrto
September 14, 2009
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
I took a new route that I am sure some have you have already tried but I thought I would post it since I hasve not seen anyone mention this way.
From the Beltway and 66 it is exactly 163 miles and I made it in 2 hours 48 minute including stopping to fill up the car at the last gas station on 55 in VA.

You takee 66 west to 81 south- two exits to 55 west- to Corridor H- at the end of the off ramp take a right on 220 proceed to Olds Fields (5 miles). Take a left onto oldsfield road / CR2 / Williamsport it is called all three. Proceed 8.2 miles. this part is similar to greenland gap safe speed 35 - 40 mph for most of it. It is paved the whole way however.
At the end of this road you take a left on Patterson creek road, (back on the highway now) Go 4.3 miles take a right on greenland gap.
(On the map it looks like you can take your first right off Patterson Creek road onto Belle Babb lane which merges into Knobly rd where you can pick up the secon half of greenland Gap. I have not tried this way yet however if anyone has I would love to hear about it.)

Greenland gap eventuually comes to a T (8.2 mi)and you turn left onto scherr rd (I have neve seen a sign stating it's name and that road takes you to 42 in Scherr. Go up the mountain go left on 93 past the mount storm power plant across the plains into davis. Total time from Beltway to Davis 2 hours 41 minutes.

Feedback welcome and encouraged.

PS

Saw some huge Corridor H overpassses right between the end of Greenland Gap and Scherr.

It's on.... Oh yeah corridor H is definitely on
fishnski
September 14, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Did that route 1 time...Got attacked by redneck Al Queda..That is back road back Country..Scary..
crunchy
September 14, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
thats not really a new route, just a killer scenic route that a handful take.... in the daytime. smile you can take east morefield exit tho instead of going to morefield. (right off exit, then quick left will take you almost to that left for oldfields. if you are in canaan tho, its not really faster since you end up in davis. but still... whats the hurry.
had my first ski dream last week.... bring it on!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I just saw in the paper that a new section of Corridor H (just out of Moorefield) opens up soon. How will this impact the route to Canaan? Your thoughts Brad?
The Colonel smile
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 18, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Bawalker,
You out there? Need your help with this one!
The Colonel smile
bawalker
September 18, 2009
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
lol yeah I'm out here in internet land as well as working 13+hrs somedays.

Actually when it comes to the new section of Corridor H affecting Canaan Valley traffic, it will do so by funneling people to take the Scherr Mountain / Rt 42 way more. The reason for this is that the section that will open stops at the bottom of Scherr Mountain on Rt 93.

Initially it was to have stopped much short of that on Patterson Creek Road where travelers would have been dumped off on a small 2 lane back country road. Then would have had to make a left on the exit and drive back to where Patterson Creek Road meets 42, either make a right and go on to Scherr, or completely double back another 4 miles to Petersburg and go to Harmon.

The way things stand now, construction has pushed to the intersection of Rt 93, although I don't know if that is going to be opening at the same time. When I was last driving through Rt 93 to Scherr a year and half ago, there was no construction there at the time. Also federal funding is going to be decreasing for Corridor H and locally, radio ads have been airing from unknown groups trying to rally support for the highway. Most people locally now are wanting the construction to just be done or quit. Robert Byrd was holding a rally on the new bridge that crosses Moorefield today or tomorrow to rally folks because funding for some other bridges has been cut already for it.

Actually I'm surprised that it would be opening, because the funding that has been cut affects the area currently under construction. I last heard that this section would open AFTER this ski season.
jimmy
September 18, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Wut?? None of these for Hardy County, I guess you folks have already recovered?

Nah WV just didn't vote right.
fishnski
September 18, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Opening up to Scher is Great news..They were not scheduled to complete that till fall of 10 which usually would mean summer of 10..

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.