19 posts
10 users
2k+ views
RyanC
June 11, 2004
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
Interesting...
I love how they say that recreational possibilities are 'uncertain'. Are we supposed to believe that they just purchased the mountain for the heck of it? I mean, come on. My guess is that they are just saying that in order to ensure that irrational speculation doesn't occur (ie. 200% increase in RE values over the course of a few months).

Here's my guess: I think that given Corridor H's progress, there is the potential to turn this mountain into something bigger, better, and more upscale than even Snowshoe (don't know if this will actually happen, though), to target us Maryland/DC/Virginia folks. Once more of Corridor H is completed, the region could be day-trip material for some NoVa folks (at least the ones west of Leesburg, Manassas, etc.). I don't think that Snowshoe will suffer, because they already have a very good resort, that will continue to appeal to people from the south (NC, SC, GA, and so on). There are always things that a resort like Snowshoe can do to keep customers coming in, despite new competition. However, I think that there is pent-up demand for a Snowshoe-like resort much closer to DC/Baltimore, as a 5-6 hour drive is just too far for many people (myself included). Just imagine the demand for something similar, but only 3 hours away [Smile]

I'd love to hear other opinions on this. I think that this is huge, potentially revolutionary news for the CV area of WV, at least over the next 5-10 years (thing long-term). What do the others here think?
Scott - DCSki Editor
June 11, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
It's an interesting development. I guess I would warn folks not to read too much into this yet. Purchasing a plot of land is a fairly low-risk endeavor compared to planning a full-scale resort development. Before any resort could be considered, there would undoubtedly need to be significant research and planning, and that could take years.

We'll continue to follow this story and publish any new details that we can confirm. Anything beyond the details in John's article would be speculation at this point, and I think it will probably be awhile before there is anything new to report. Marsh Mt., LLC has not confirmed that they are considering development of a ski resort. If they are considering that, they could ultimately decide that it would not be cost effective. So I think they need some time to study the possibilities before they comment on any specific plans.
RyanC
June 11, 2004
160 posts
I certainly understand that Marsh Mtn, LLC doesn't want to engage in speculation or 'what if?' scenarios. I wouldn't either if I were them. Scott is right that a lot of planning is needed before anything is done. However, it seems obvious that they didn't purchase the land just to let it sit forever. I'm sure they have many different ideas on how to develop it, and many more alternatives to fall back on. Again, this is just one (my) average Joe's opinion, based on nothing more than common-sense business/economic principles. If everything went their way (permits, environmental issues, etc.) I'm sure they would do SOMETHING with it. A ski resort seems to be obvious (perhaps among other things). I'm sure the property wasn't cheap, therefore unless they are Intrawest (which they clearly aren't) I doubt they would (or could even afford to) buy this land if they weren't pretty darn sure that it is viable for SOMETHING in the way of economic development. Hopefully what I'm saying isn't construed as speculation. I'm just looking at it from a layperson's perspetive (with maybe just a little wishful thinking thrown in for good measure).
tommo
June 11, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Where was it published the Marsh Mtn LLC purchased the Tory plot? They just lost a tax case and I'd have thought they'd be a bit cautious right now - but maybe not... Does the article indicate the amount of land purchased or the price per acre by any chance? In any case, I hope they did buy it because they seem to be an outstanding and very community oriented group of business people.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
June 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
What other plots of land has Marsh Mtn LLC bought and what other business ventures (besides Wisp) have they invested in?

I agree with Scott that we shouldn't expect a ski area on Tory any time soon. But we can hope. [Razz]

Certainly, any infrastructure improvements made to the area (road, water/sewer, electrical) increases the chance that someone will eventually build a ski area on the mountain. Assuming that real estate is not developed where the slopes would be.
andy
June 12, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Wonder what Bill Brights take on this is.
andy
June 12, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
PS..Tory mtn is really Job Knob if anybody out there is trying to look it up.
myrto
June 13, 2004
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
Ryan and andy I hope you know I was just giving you all a hard time. It's all about the love
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
June 14, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
There's a reasonable number of old growth cherry trees on that mountain, so Marsh's initial priority, I suspect, is logging those trees for profit. Long-range, who knows? We'll have to take a wait and see attitude. However, given the prospect of rising interest rates, I suspect that if Marsh is ultimately interested in developing a ski resort, it will not wait too many years to act. In short, they will have to strike while the irons are hot. Given the success Timberline has had in selling the Phase 1 Winterhaven lots (one unimproved lot recently re-sold for $350,000), there's money to be made in dem dar hills, but interest rates, water concerns, and other issues could get in the way of our dreams. We'll just have to see what their research yields.
andy
June 14, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
You got it MYRTO..I've jumped on some people myself...Thats why i don't drink & post anymore!(well maybe a miller lite,But no whiskey!)
RyanC
June 14, 2004
160 posts
Myrto, I don't believe you, I think you're lying to us [Big Grin] (just kidding)!!!

I jumped on you, too, so please accept my apology.
jimmy
June 14, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I don't understand why a ski area development here would be a long term thing. How long did it take Whitetail to open? These folks must know something about operating a ski area. I agree w/Johnfmh that they won't wait long. They didn't buy Tory Mountain to timber and graze cattle. Competition...look out Doc!
June 14, 2004
1,986 posts
If my memory serves me correctly, it only took Whitetail about a year to build the resort once the financing was finalized. However, the original owner (not Snowtime) had to wait a long time before that happened--9 years I believe. Scott may have the exact stats on that one.
June 15, 2004
1,986 posts
A 1997 satelite image of Tory:

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=12&x=785&y=5379&z=17&w=1

Someone posted this image before on the forum but I thought I would post it again for FYI's sake.
andy
June 15, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
That looks like a 1200' version of timberline.Like Whitetail the dif slopes are just the same versions of each other.somebody needs to get creative!Who wants to go down 1 slope just to go down another & you don't notice anything diff?
comprex
June 16, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Andy, andy, not seeing the glades for the trees. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
andy
June 16, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Hope that "selective cutting" doesn't damage those glades! You really can't tell the variety of terrain from the sat photos.Where are the DC ski special forces that should be scouting the area?
andy
June 16, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Just zoommed in real close on the mtn.The spruce tree line seems a little higher up than TL.Course in 7 years they have grown & spread a little.There does seem to be a nice spruce field that drops down the mtn on the left side (from top to bottom)where there are no slopes cut.Hardwoods make glades,I just like spruces.Sort of like seeing palms in NC.Untill i see a good pic of the mtn I don't think it can compare to what i have seen of Mount porte crayon.
gatkinso
June 16, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Andy - Why not go for a little hike this summer? I am sure you could easily get permission to hike to the top.

RyanC - to address your original post: I seriously doubt ski resort owners buy a pre-cut ski area for the logging potential! ;-)

WHC fighting a ski area but giving the thumbs up to a logging operation - that would be quite interesting/ironic.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?