Lou Has Lost His Thunder (no pun intended)
6 posts
4 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 26, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
My Fellow DC Skiers,
I print a post from Lou Ibotta that I just noticed in the Family Skiing Forum at the bottom of the DCSki Forum menu. Lou's post was dated 24 August and I thought it appropriate it be reproduced in this thread where most of us post frequently. I, and I am sure all DCSkiers, have thoroughly enjoyed Lou's many posts where he described his love for his dog "Thunder", Thunder's antics, how he would not travel without Thunder, etc. We all commiserated with Lou upon learning that Thunder was ill.
Here is Lou's post:
"Well... my turn came. Today I sent Thunder across the Rainbow Bridge, where there is no pain, no cancer, no anguish...
I have a broken heart.
The oncologists at South Paws in Fairfax had given us six to eight months reprieve on his histiocytic cancer. Histiocytic sarcoma learns to overcome the chemo and there is no known substitute for either pets or humans. He was in complete remission until almost the limit. Seven months later, his tumor returned with a vengeance. He stopped eating and was in considerable discomfort. There was no other avenue.
I believe that heaven is a great place that is also pet friendly. I know that on the other side of the rainbow bridge, Thunder is waiting for me with a snow ball in his mouth.
So long my boy. Till later.
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Lou,
I was distressed to learn about the passing of Thunder.
I have had multiple dogs in my life, including two labs while my kids grew up. There are very few more unconditionally loveable, trustworthy, and enjoyable companions a man can have other than his dog or other special pet. Both "Dixie" and "Magic" are gone now and are still sorely missed. The pain when we lost each of them was enormous. Each was unique with their own personality, mannerisms, etc.; each gave and received as much love as the family could give...through "mischievous" times and wonderful times. I too believe that such wonderful companions must "cross the Rainbow Bridge", to lick, jump, thump tail when we are reunited. No dog can replace Thunder, Dixie or Magic, but should you decide to get another, you will quickly fall in love again!
I am sorry for your loss, and know that it only helps a little at this time to know Thunder is better off now, that you returned all his years of love with the ultimate love gift you could give.
Take care, and hopefully we will make some turns together this coming winter.
The Colonel
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Appreciate the kind words. I know that with my personality, I'll have another pup sometime soon. But losing this boy has been a specially hard time because he was simply, special. But for all of us, our pets are always special. Like you say, each brings a special dimension in our lives. Dogs in my opinion, are our Creator's way to show us in simple terms that there is total loyalty, commitment and love, and that that is the same love our Creator has for us. Maybe in that way, we can understand what is so hard to understand in a world that sometimes seems like it's gone mad.

And yes, let's make turns.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Ibotta - very sorry to hear about Thunder. I remember all of the support that I got on this forum when I lost my snow dog, Spenser. It is very tough losing a friend who has such unquestioned loyalty and is such a good companion. Sounds like Thunder was very special.
I am lucky that my wife convinced me to get a puppy prior to the passing of Spenser. My new friend, Leo, is VERY special indeed. I look forward to his welcome when I come home from work. He is incredibly intelligent and loves the snow just like Spenser. He's much smaller than Spenser, so he has a little trouble with deep snow. We bought him a doggie ski parka and he looks sharp in it!
As time passes the grief from Thunder's passsing will fade, but you will still have those great memories. I strongly suggest that you look for a new canine companion. You won't be sorry.
Roger Z
August 27, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hi Lou- my heart goes out to you. I hope you're doing okay, and I am glad to hear that you are looking forward to a time that there is another dog in your life. But short of a parent, a spouse or a child, there is no one closer than a beloved dog or cat in your life. I am sure that Thunder is frolicking in an eternal snowfield now waiting for his beloved friend (you, just in case you can't take a hint wink ) to show up. Take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you. With deepest sympathy- RogZ.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 28, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Thanks Roger and snowsm. Today I put my app with Lab Rescue League from which I got Thunder almost 13 years ago. The passing was a bit interesting, because it happened exactly on the same day my mom passed to a better life five years ago. So interesting... A message from heaven? Both are looking down (sorry for being Pre-Copernican) and smiling in the middle of the daffodils...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?