New Hampshire Resorts
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Buckeyeski
August 20, 2009
Member since 03/25/2009 🔗
5 posts
We are looking for a timeshare exchange for the end of March. Our group includes a mix of ages and abilities. Looks like a current option is to go to Loon for the week and try Waterville Valley or Canoon for a day or two. Does anyone have general thoughts on these NH resorts. Since we have a mix of ages and abilities we are in need of an all around desitnation area for skiing, activities, restaurants, etc. Our other choice is to wait and see if options become available for Stowe.

Thanks
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 20, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Enjoyed some great late March skiing in that neck of the woods at Wildcat in 2005: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=838&mode=search
Have not skied Loon, but have driven by and know it is a sizeable place close to WV and Cannon. Have skied the later two, preferred Cannon, but WV good too. Late March can be dicey even that far north and I wouldn't buy lift tickets far in advance. Could be reduced number of trails open, but chances are some decent skiing will be found within 1 hour drive from Lincoln. Wildcat and Bretton Woods have reputations for remaining open into April in recent years, not sure about the others. I'm not that familiar with Lincoln, IIRC it has cluster of motels, restaurants, but not much else. A visit to Bretton Woods, even if not to ski, might be interesting because of historic hotel complex. I stayed in North Conway when I was up there in 2005. It has more of an established town with restaurants, businesses, and lots of outlet shops (which is a positive for some and a negative for others).
I like NH, it seems less touristy and developed than VT, notwithstanding North Conway. Nothing quite like Mt Washington in VT. But I'm sure Stowe, VT would be a good candidate for your plans too though.
Does your timeshare cover Quebec City? Now that's a destination for a mixed group of skiers and nonskiers looking for late spring skiing in the East: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1145&mode=headlines
curih
August 20, 2009
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
Loon will be a good mix for your group. My biggest complain about Loon when I'd been there like 10 years ago was weekend crowds. But during the week it was nice. Definitely recommend Cannon for at least a day. It's a more challenging mountain overall, but there's plenty for all abilities.

I grew up skiing Waterville. It's a nice mountain, but since it hasn't really changed in 20 years it's now a bit smaller than the other two you're considering. Still more than enough to keep everyone in your group happy for a couple days.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?