No Longer a DCSkier...
7 posts
7 users
2k+ views
Reisen
August 14, 2009
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Well, after seven years in DC, most of them lurking or posting on DCSki, I'm no longer a DC local. My wife and I moved up to New York City a few weeks ago, so I could take a job on Wall Street.

Positives include being much closer to Vermont skiing, as well as, I believe, a non-stop flight to Salt Lake City, no? We kept one of our cars (the 2 door BMW), but are considering trading it for a more suitable ski car (Audi station wagon, VW Toureg, etc.). We'll be living in Hoboken, so will have a garaged parking spot and a place to store all our skis and bikes.

Negatives include no more 90 minute drives to WhiteTail during the week, nor jaunts to Snowshoe on the weekend.

All in all, I'm hoping to get to ski considerably more, now that we're close enough to Killington, and even Stowe, to do easy weekend trips. I'm actually considering a share in a ski house at Killington, but may back off that idea in favor of more trips out West.
jimmy
August 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Bon Voyage, look at the bright side, you're only gonna be an hour from Camelback, garden spot of the mid atlantic. Be sure to file a trip report. Good Luck,
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 14, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Congratulations on your move.

However NYC is no ski heaven either. I believe even Camelback will prove to be well over an hour. A Manhattan friend goes to Mountain Creek which he calls Mountain Crock. Haven't been there but have skied Hidden Valley, similar size but I like the slopes a lot better than Hidden Valley, PA. They actually have some pitch. The Catskills are getting into the 3+ hr. range. Hunter is insane on weekends but has good terrain and 1500 vert. I love it on a weekday. Plattekill (never been) opens only on weekends unless there is 12" or more of new snow. When this happens it is rumored to be great. Killington is probably 4,5 hrs. and Stowe another 1-1.5. I apologize for an overzealous estimate of VT driving times in another thread last week. I returned from my daughter's house in Burlington last Sat. Driving time was 9.5 hrs., total time 11 hrs. Getting out of the NYC metro area can change all driving times for the worse but never for the better.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
August 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
We will miss you in the midA...advantage of DCSki...you never leave! Too bad you did not learn of the nonstop flights to SLC from Dulles.
The Colonel smile
Bumps
August 15, 2009
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
Its kind of like the marines. No such thing as an ex-DCskier.
JohnL
August 15, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
In addition to Vermont, check out Plattekill (NY), Belleayre (NY) and Elk Mountain (PA). All are still ~3 hour drives from NYC, non-rush hour. (From what I've heard, they are roughly equivalent to what you get for the 3 hour drive from DC to Timberline, WV.) I agree with Denis, trying to leave/re-enter NYC area during peak times is worse than here in DC. If you can believe it. I grew up in Connecticut, relatively close to NYC, and drive past the NYC metro area several times a year.

Denis is spot on about Hunter. Also, for the drive/skiing trade-off, it may also pay to check out Gore and Whiteface in NY vs Vermont. Just a random thought. But I do love me some MRG, Sugarbush, Stowe, Smugg's and Jay.

Check out:
www.alpinezone.com
www.snowjournal.com
for skiing the Northeast.

My best advice for a skier living in the New York area: make a lot of money very quickly so you can retire at age 50 and move to ski country. wink

Best of luck. Adopt a mountain up there so you can show us the powder stashes when we're up in that neck of the woods!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 19, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
NYC area is also a good departure point for the Alps. We want trip reports, however brief, on any new ski adventures you undertake.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.