4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Danimal
July 26, 2009
Member since 07/26/2009 🔗
2 posts
Hello,

I was curious what the best ski resort (near dc) to have a long weekend getaway (3-4 days). The past few years about 10 of us been going to Wintergreen, which we like alot. The 4-bdrm house that we usually rent out there is awesome, and the spa is great for those of us who aren't big skiers.

We were just wondering though if this year we should keep going there, or if there are better places that people would recommend. Although we loved Wintergreen, might be nice for a change of scenery this year.

Thanks,
Dan
Kris
July 27, 2009
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Timberline, Canaan Valley, Whitegrass.

Stay at Canaan Lodge if you want the Lodge experience.

Rent a cabin in the valley if you like that sorta thing, or rent a slopeside house if you want it closer...You can stay in the valley and be at either 3 ski areas within lets say 10 mins or so...

If you want a more developed experience, shopping and food and things like that...Snowshoe is good for that...but it can get crowded...Real crowded...

Others might chime in and give more details...Thats all i can say for now...gotta get back to work...

WV is awesome for skiing...
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
What level skiing do the skiers in your group like? Have you ever looked at the Massanutten website? Tubing and the waterpark can be a draw for non-skiers. I've been on holiday weekends and the high speed lift to the top rarely has much of a lift line. Plenty of houses for rent on the mountain, in addition to the timeshare condos.

The skiing is better at W'green. But more options off the slopes around M'nut.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 18, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Danimal,
First, welcome to DCSki.
Some questions:
Ages of the skiers/boarders in your group? Where do you live?
Looking for resort or quiet, especially at night?
Types of sliders...advanced...beginner? Prepared to spend???
In other words, tell us what you want and are like and I am sure you will get a number of great options here from DCSkiers.
Sever Springs, Snowshoe, Timberline/Canaan Valley...to name a few.
The Colonel smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?