Mountains of Distinction for 2009-10 = ?
6 posts
3 users
1k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
July 12, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
One of my main reasons for buying a Wintergreen pass a few years ago and a Liberty-Whitetail-Roundtop pass last season was the Mountains of Distinction (MOD) benefit that provided discounts at 12+ ski areas, incl. several in the mid-Atlantic region. It was an especially good deal when I could get that 50% discount for a weekday ski ticket.

So far, I haven't found listings or announcements for the ski areas that will be participating in MOD for 2009-10. Has anybody else seen an up-to-date list?

Also, I'm curious why ski resorts actually choose to participate in MOD, or elect not to participate. Overall, it seems that MOD would attract skiers to your area who might not otherwise visit. That's how I ended up at Liberty a few years ago, and then bought a pass. Does anybody have any inside scoop?

I expect to buy a Snowtime (RT-WT-Liberty) pass again this season, but I don't want to do so until I know about the MOD program. That $399 deal expires in ... what? ... only three-and-one-half months!

Woody
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
July 12, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I bought the senior weekday WT, Liberty, RT pass last year for $199 and actually did not get my money's worth. I went to WT only once, that's it. I bought early and expected to use it many times before Jan. but my retirement was delayed until just before Christmas, long story and boring. Anyhow I got more than my money's worth from Mad River and Alta season passes so I have no complaints.
therusty
July 13, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Woody,

It's still too early for the 2009-2010 season. Most resorts have not even announced prices yet. The list of resorts for the MOD program has varied a little from year to year. You can see last year's list on Liberty's MOD page.. I would not expect to see any news on this before August. Early season pricing always ends on 10/31. I have the perception that MOD is not well known among passholders and not much utlized either. If I were a resort marketeer, I'd be thinking either it's a cheap sales pitch (because few people use it) or it's an expensive marketing program (because few people use it).
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
July 15, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Originally Posted By: therusty
Woody,

It's still too early for the 2009-2010 season. Most resorts have not even announced ... (snip) I have the perception that MOD is not well known among passholders and not much utlized either. If I were a resort marketeer, I'd be thinking either it's a cheap sales pitch (because few people use it) or it's an expensive marketing program (because few people use it).

Good points, Rusty. While MOD indeed matters to me, it may not matter to most pass purchasers.

Although July may be early for Snowtime resorts, many areas in NE offered early-bird purchase deals for 2009-10 that have already expired. Again, I am very satisfied with Snowtime's pass deal but would like to know the details of the MOD program before finalizing my decision to purchase (or not).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Woody
therusty
July 15, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Woody,

Your welcome. I've been impressed with the MOD program and shocked at how little we push it. In any case, you have till 11/1 to get your discounted Snow Time pass (after 11/1 you can usually still get the pre season discount at the DC Ski Show in early November).

I have a spreadsheet tool for calculating savings from passes and advantage cards. Every year after the new Snow Time prices come out, I update my calculator. About 1/3 of the MOD resorts still don't have their next season prices posted for 1-2 months after Snow Time posts theirs. Most don't have their new prices posted before Snow Time does.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
July 15, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Originally Posted By: bousquet19

Although July may be early for Snowtime resorts, many areas in NE offered early-bird purchase deals for 2009-10 that have already expired.

Yikes. In the past I've never seen anybody close their early prices before Oct. Who has closed?

I am thinking about doing a Stowe pass this year. A weekday only for a senior was $624 last year. Stowe has been or is in the process of being sold. The 08/09 prices are still on their page so I have no idea what their price structure will be or even if they will offer such a pass. So it is concerning if other windows are closing in the meantime.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.