So, what are goals for next season?
26 posts
15 users
6k+ views
scootertig
July 8, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I'll leave the question open-ended... Could be places to ski, things to do, improvements to make, etc...

Here's a first cut at mine, in the geographical sense:

1) Get back to New England. It was sooooooo cold last time, and right after a rain/freeze cycle, that we didn't really get to see it on its best terms. I'd like another chance at Burke, Pico, and Sugarbush. That, and I'd like to go back to Saddleback before it's completely discovered.

2) 1 trip west, as cheaply as possible. After SLC this year, we may head back, but I'm really intrigued by trying Whitefish, Schweitzer,or somethign else in the Northwest. Jana's said she'd be happy with Colorado again, but I'd love to go somewhere new.

3) Log at least 25 days.

There are definitely others, but it's a long summer, so I'll leave room to add more when I'm jonesing again. One thing's for sure - I'll take summer weather like this any day!

aaron
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 8, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
...same as it ever was...
Ski around locally, maybe get one trip to Northeast and one out West.
Continue to meet and ski with family, old friends, and new online friends.
Hope to continue to write some trip reports for DCSki.
Maintain or upgrade ski gear for self and family.

We've passed the 4th of July so it's ok to start thinking about skiing again grin
scootertig
July 8, 2009
365 posts
I was all proud of myself for not even thinking about planning the trip for next year! By this time each of the last two years, I was already cruising VRBO for good deals...

aaron
jonjon1
July 8, 2009
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
My goal is to increase the seasonal snowfall up here by at least 20%. 200" or bust. I'll see what I can do.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
David
July 8, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I have 2 goals. In no particular order of importance: Ski as much as I can. Don't flunk out of med school.

Originally Posted By: jonjon1
My goal is to increase the seasonal snowfall up here by at least 20%. 200" or bust. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your work Jon!! Let me know if there's anything I can do.
Roger Z
July 8, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
My wife will finally (!!!) be in country. My goal is to get her- ever so gently now- to move closer to becoming a ski fanatic. To that end there could be a couple trips to the local ski lump. There is also a one week trip to Wolf Creek already set up (the annual family trip, my parents couldn't resist my incessant harping on the place), and potentially a long weekend to Utah in March, depending on finances.

All of this, of course, is dependent on me not turning her off on the sport. Apparently I suck as a teacher. I knew this about teaching in general, but teaching skiing it seems I'm no better. frown Sigh, so my other challenge is to work on not being a Nazi taskmaster when it comes to learning to ski ("Turn. TURN!!! You will LOVE tuning, or I will KILL YOU!!! TTTTUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNNN and LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!"). I might be seeking some advice here on that challenge as we get neareer to first snow....
langleyskier
July 8, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Yay, a true skiing topic. The days are getting shorter so perfect time to evaluate the coming season. Goals:

1) Last year of collegiate ski racing,as such I want to really put everything on the line and give it my all this season and pass a few kids I have been about even with for the last 2 years

2) As an Instructor I want to really work to apply everything I have learned and grow as an instructor of not just beginners but also intermediate levels. I have a decent amount of experience with teaching intermediate level students but still feel awkward and not as confident as I should be. I want to overcome that and work to achieving my level 2 certification.

3) Personally, I want to pass 45 days and go for 50. Also want to try and find a way to do some off season skiing (may??). The pinnacle would be tucks which im not going to lie scares the he** out of me. Also, would love to develop myself in the park (360??)
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 9, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
Langleyskier, my son is thinking about trying to do what you did: teach skiing while going to college. But will probably not do this his freshman year, 2009-2010. Have you done it all four years? How did you get to and from ski slopes? His commute would be about 45 mins each way. Did the demands of instructing have a negative impact on your school studies?
GGNagy
July 9, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
506 posts
1) Use the NCC to its full advantage. I never got up to RT or Liberty last year.

2) Go somewhere in the NE that allows me to experience some "lost" ski areas. Cannon/Mittersil seems the best bet. Maybe meet some of the SJ gang.

3) meet up with dcski/epicski/SJ people more often.

4) organize a ski trip for my KofC council. Unplanned Ad Hoc trips allways seem to fall through.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
July 9, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,344 posts
To find fantastic bottomless powder before being 75 days into the season. Said with tongue in cheek smile
Murphy
July 9, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
1) Get my youngest on a pair of skis.

2) Take one trip out west.

3) Ski WV as often as possible.

4) Become less uncoordinated on cross country skis.
Roger Z
July 9, 2009
2,181 posts
I notice you didn't mention anything about getting your oldest better coordinated... lost cause? wink
Murphy
July 10, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
The biggest problem with the oldest is getting her to the ski resort. She's not a big fan of twisty car rides.
Norsk
July 10, 2009
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Here's one on my list that I haven't seen others post:

Try one or two Mid-Atlantic resorts that I haven't visited before. Having a place at Timberline, we rarely venture beyond those "friendly confines" (I'm a sucker for slow lifts and fried food). Have never been to BK, nor Laurel (if it opens), nor farther north in PA. Time to hit the road!
David
July 10, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: Norsk
Here's one on my list that I haven't seen others post:

Try one or two Mid-Atlantic resorts that I haven't visited before. Having a place at Timberline, we rarely venture beyond those "friendly confines" (I'm a sucker for slow lifts and fried food). Have never been to BK, nor Laurel (if it opens), nor farther north in PA. Time to hit the road!

Go to BK. It's not a horrible drive from the Valley. Just take your rock skis mad mad crazy
GRK
July 11, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
1) Get in much better shape prior to ski season (working on it)

2) Get to a few other Mid-Atlantic areas that I have not visited.

3) Ski with some more DC SKI folks.

4) Continue to improve my skiing

5) Sneak my daughter out of school a couple of days to ski

6) Hit Utah and Vermont at least once each.

7) 25 ski days sounds like a good amount so I will echo Scootertig on that one. (Actually 50 sounds like a good amount but it just won't happen).
jimmy
July 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: Roger Z

All of this, of course, is dependent on me not turning her off on the sport. Apparently I suck as a teacher. I knew this about teaching in general, but teaching skiing it seems I'm no better. frown Sigh, so my other challenge is to work on not being a Nazi taskmaster when it comes to learning to ski ("Turn. TURN!!! You will LOVE tuning, or I will KILL YOU!!! TTTTUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNNN and LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!"). I might be seeking some advice here on that challenge as we get neareer to first snow....

Ha RogerZ my advice is

hire a professional grin.

Not even a professional should ever consider teaching a SO to ski.

I want to ski somewhere I've never skied before.

I want to get back to VT this season.

I want to ski 50 days (again grin ).

I want to get my Level 1 certification.

I will get better in the bumps.
scootertig
July 16, 2009
365 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy

I want to ski somewhere I've never skied before.

I want to get back to VT this season.

I want to ski 50 days (again grin ).

I want to get my Level 1 certification.

I will get better in the bumps.

Jimmy, aside from the Level 1 cert, that sounds like a winter I'd sign on for, too...

We should play DCSki bingo this winter. Make a list of things to do, like

a) ski/board in the rain
b) ski/board in your own state
c) ski/board in an state that neighbors your own
d) ski/board in a state that does not neighbor your own
e) ski switch
f) swap ski for board for a day (or vice versa)

etc...

Should I start another thread?

aaron
David
July 16, 2009
2,444 posts
You guys and your 50 days!!! I bet I spend way more time in the anatomy lab than anyone here spends on the slopes. frown frown frown
jimmy
July 16, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
That sounds like fun David. You are right my life sucks laugh .

Google "Will Sonnett"
JohnL
July 16, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Unrealistic goal without getting fired:

Ski more days than Jimmy.

Realistic goal:

Ski more powder days than Jimmy. cool David will be setting a low bar next season. wink

Actually, if I can finally arrive at a Thanksgiving in shape with all yard/house projects finished, everything will work out for an epic season.
fishnski
July 16, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
To break my speed record getting from SE NC to Canaan...That means having the ole lady & 2 dogs bound..Gagged & Diapered in the back seat....Ski more, post less & to try not to Show off too much on the Slopes....
David
July 16, 2009
2,444 posts
Hey John, I'm not even taking the bar out this year.

Fish, it's shows off's like you that makes poor skiing instructors like me look even worse. Hey, my skis sure are piety though.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
July 17, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Originally Posted By: David
You guys and your 50 days!!! I bet I spend way more time in the anatomy lab than anyone here spends on the slopes. frown frown frown

David,
Are we talking "hands-on anatomy" in your med school, or another form of "hands-on anatomy" that actually might beat out time on slope?

The Wicked Colonel smile
Roger Z
July 17, 2009
2,181 posts
Good advice Jimmy. My mom so far has been her favorite- my mom was a former ski instructor and has this certain way of doing things that makes people enjoy the sport.

Ah well, I told Sandra last night and she laughed. She agreed I needed to spend more time away from her when she was learning how to ski. I can just see it- coming back powder-lipped saying "but... but honey, you said you DIDN'T want me around!" Will our marriage survive our ski vacations??? That'll be an ongoing goal I suppose, to survive our ski vacations... shocked
David
July 17, 2009
2,444 posts
Well, anatomy and pysiology for the first few months. I am getting married in December though.... smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?