New Whitetail Trail Map - check it out
19 posts
11 users
5k+ views
SeaRide
July 1, 2009
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Check out the aerial photos and the new trail map for Whitetail.

http://whitetailresort.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/new-whitetail-trail-map/

Any other comments are welcome.
SwissMountain
July 1, 2009
Member since 05/18/2007 🔗
68 posts
Great Job Guys....I guess you have a different map for night skiing....well done
langleyskier
July 2, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Actually, I am not a big fan of the new one. Makes expedition and the trails on the "Experts Choice" side look as if they have half the vertical as the front side which generally is not at all true. Anyone else see that, maybe I am reading into it too much, and hey, maybe it will keep people away from my favorite part of the mountain!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 2, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
I like the new map, but agree that those aerial photos are deceptive. What do you think the vertical drop is in feet from bottom of expert's choice chair to main base lodge? It seems nearly flat, like about 50', when you ski it. The photos make it look like a much bigger drop??
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
comprex
July 2, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Bottom of Sidewinder looks a lot steeper than it actually is.
therusty
July 2, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Well, you can't argue with an aerial photo. The likeness looks pretty good to me. It is the nature of a 2D representation to make steeper look shorter and flatter look longer. I concur with Langely about traffic diversion, but I would not expect to see that happen. Do you have any idea what percentage of Whitetail visitors actually use a trail map? My bet is < 10%. I'm glad they used Niehues. He's a classic!
langleyskier
July 3, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Originally Posted By: therusty
Well, you can't argue with an aerial photo.

Very true, two are very similar. I think the problem is that the trail from the bottom of experts choice is definitely ~50 feet in vertical but looks more like 150 or more on the aerial. My point was that although it is great the two look alike, the point of the trailmap is not as much to give an aerial view of the mountain to give a prospective on run length, difficulty, and location. In my opinion, while the old map is less correct as far as the actual likeness of the mnt, it is better at giving a skiers prospective of the mountain.
comprex
July 3, 2009
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
I like the new map, but agree that those aerial photos are deceptive. What do you think the vertical drop is in feet from bottom of expert's choice chair to main base lodge? It seems nearly flat, like about 50', when you ski it. The photos make it look like a much bigger drop??

KeithT
July 3, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Comprex, where did you get the map in your post?? It is not the same as on the websites. Your map has trail from Far Side to the tubing hill?????

Your not trying to create a conspiracy like the green dot last year are you??
comprex
July 5, 2009
1,326 posts

I was being bad.
GGNagy
July 6, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
how many turns can we make on that new trail? smile
comprex
July 6, 2009
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: GGNagy
how many turns can we make on that new trail? smile

I was trying to make it work as the uphill section of a cross-country figure 8, the other side of the figure 8 being, of course, over at the SISO condos.

No luck yet.
SeaRide
July 6, 2009
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Just a thought from glancing over the aerial photo. Notice how much area to cover with snowmaking .. look at the area size of the greens including the mixed bowl area, the tubing hill and compare that to the rest of the blues and blacks. Did anyone recall the Sidewinder being open late or about the same time as the stalker/snowpark?

Scott - DCSki Editor
July 6, 2009
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I seem to recall it was about the same time. Sidewinder is lined with all those high-efficiency Areco fan guns, so they were able to open it pretty quickly.
comprex
July 7, 2009
1,326 posts

Considering the slush-fest it can be on the top third, Sidewinder needs every one of them.

Good spot to glide-test wax tho.
langleyskier
July 7, 2009
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
also may have been they opened it asap this year because it was a new trail and they wanted to showcase the newly installed snowmaking. if I had to guess they will continue to make it a priority in the future due to it being the only long and (very very) easy slope
comprex
July 8, 2009
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: langleyskier
the only long and (very very) easy slope

Am i the only one who sees the logic of having an 'Too steep, too blue' bailout from the top of the Express lift over to Sidewinder?
jimboc
July 8, 2009
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
amen....its almost already there......they could just widen that jeep trial that runs to the top of sidewinder......probably to flat though
scootertig
July 9, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
When I compare the two, I like the new one a lot more, but I can't figure out why. They're not THAT different, but something about the color scheme, maybe, or the subtle differences in the rendering, somehow make the mountain look more substantial.

Jim Niehue's portfolio really reads like a who's who of ski areas, huh?

aaron

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?