Utah Bound
16 posts
6 users
7k+ views
David
May 17, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Tomorrow afternoon I will be heading to Utah for a 10 day hiking trip. I got lucky enough to mooch my way into a trip through the University that I just graduated from in December. There are about 15 going and we will be packing and riding in three 15 passenger vans.

While there we will be staying at National Park campgrounds and doing day hikes each day. The itinerary has us visiting all 5 National Parks in Utah and also spending a day/night at the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

I should be back in town around the 1st. I won't have internet access while out there but I will be sure to post plenty of pics when I get back.

BTW, will someone please keep an eye on Andy while I am gone.

Oh yeah. Jimmy, you are in charge.
fishnski
May 17, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Your post is not Ski related...no one likes a Braggart mad..
David
May 17, 2009
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
Your post is not Ski related...no one likes a Braggart mad..

Hence the reason it is in the Hiking and Camping subsection. I will be doing both. smile
KevR
May 17, 2009
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I'll put a plug in for the parks -- so far we've hit (in some cases just for a few hrs):

- Arches
- Zion
- Bryce Canyon
- Capitol Reef

Fabulous all. I also can recommend the scenic drive 12 past Grand Staircase Escalante and up through dixie national forest area.

You can continue to SLC thru Spanish Forks area. It is also possible to drive to some of these from the cottonwoods and back in one LONG day. You will get a taste ... but not much more though. I felt it was worth it but I like to drive and enjoyed the change from snowie mountains to desert and back again.

'Course that's all in the winter...
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
kwillg6
May 19, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
That's my favorite travel destination. Any of the four corner states would do. Problem is this time of year it can get pretty toasty in the desert. Moab is great riding mecca and I've done slickrock before. It's the kind of place where a mistake can be fatal. The North Rim is the only way to see the GC. Its elevation keeps it cooler than the south. We camped all through those places on three different trips. Going to do it again in a couple of years too.
jimmy
May 22, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: David

BTW, will someone please keep an eye on Andy while I am gone.

Oh yeah. Jimmy, you are in charge.

OH my, leaving someone in charge you assume they are someone with a high level of control and responsibilties. You know that ain't me, roomie.

We spent some time baking at arches on a tour of CO a few years ago, awesome i must say. I know Arches is in UT but we wanted to see the hole in the rock so we took the road thru Ut to get from Durango, i just love the name Durango, to Grand Junction.......anyways i think i kindof messed up the being in charge part while you were gone. As you may know the PENS kicked the Snot out of the CrAPS and so far the hurricane warning has been more of a spring shower but it's been SO quiet around here.

I'm thinking about making some global cooling posts over on the HVnewbeginning thread to see if i can rile snowsmith up or maybe i'll ride the bus and file a trip report about what a wonderful experience mass transits are?? Maybe me'n andy could have a discussion about how much better things are now that uncle bho is spending trillions like their billions. NAH i don't have the strength i just get all worked up. Maybe i'll start a debate with theColonel about high speed lifts at timberline? The next time you leave me in charge a bit more notice would be helpful. Enjoy the rest of u trip.
fishnski
May 22, 2009
3,530 posts
Spring Showers..Huh?...If you took a terrorist that could not swim & put him on a Surfboard..would that kind of waterboarding be torture?... Urr right Jimmi (your not the Boss of me cry)..Its Amazing how many Dollar bills I can stuff into my wallet nowadays!...any other thoughts come to mind while we are Utah Bound??
jimmy
May 23, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hi fish, maybe we should do some dunkpostings while dad is gone to UT; I really wish he had left you in change instead.

Send them home on surfboards?? We could get those airboards they're not using at canaan & let them try those. Now that teh govt has moved from throwing billions around like millions to spending trillions like billions you better get 999 more wallets to carry your dollars in. I put a TV in the garage so my auto could listen to the decree about 35mpgee. Milage is up from 19 to 26.783 and still climbing.

How's the fishing?
David
May 28, 2009
2,444 posts
Just made it back. Will post pictures and maybe even a TR later on...
David
June 9, 2009
2,444 posts
Ok, I've waited a while and now the memories aren't quite as fresh. I'll see what I can pull out.

First let me say sorry to Roger. Driving across country for my first time I have realized that Kansas sucks!! 425+ miles of the most boring driving that I have ever experienced. And then you get into Eastern Colorado and it doesn't get too much better. Unfortunately we go into Denver right at sunset meaning that my first trip through the Rockies was going to be at night. Dang!! My eyes were still glued to the road and to the altimeter on my watch. It was pretty sweet watching it climb all the way to 11,000+ ft. I'm sure it was beautiful out there!! We stopped at a rest stop around 10,000 ft and of the 21 people in our group I was the only one who felt the need (most immature??) to blast someone with a snowball. I thought it would be cool to say that I've thrown snowballs in May.

Is that you standing out there Roger??

After arriving in Utah, the first park that we visited was Arches National Park. We spent 2 days there. The 1st day, after setting up camp, we did a short hike to Delicate Arch. This is Utah's most famous arch and I could see why. Its sheer size was amazing. I can definitely see why they named it Delicate Arch; it looked as if it would fall anytime. The second day the group split and my group did an 8+ mile hike around Devil's Garden. This was a very strenuous hike (between being exposed in the sun and sometimes hiking in sand) but it was well worth it. We got up close views of Landscape Arch, Navajo Arch, Double Arch, Dark Angel, and HUGE spires and fins.

Delicate Arch

Delicate Arch

You could fit several Canaans in this valley

Spires and Fins

Dark Angel

Our next stop was Capital Reef National Park. We didn't really spend much time here as it was more of a stop on the way to our next destination. A few of us did go on a sunset hike and it was one of my favorite hikes of the entire trip. It was only about 4 miles roundtrip but was pretty much straight up so the view at the top was amazing!!

Half way up at Capital Reef

I'm sure the view was great about 30 minutes ago!!

Lower Falls of Calf Creek in Grand Escalante National Monument was our next stop. This was a 6 mile roundtrip hike in deep sand. With plenty of rain it made for a great time. After making it to the falls we spent a total of 3 minutes taking pictures, adding layers, and taking off back the vans (it was getting wet and cold). These falls were beautiful and definitely worth the hike. The coolest (torture for me) part was seeing all of the brown trout in the creek along the trail.

Taking in the cool breeze

From there we drove to Bryce Canyon National Park. At Bryce we spent 1 night. Instead of hiking in the rain I opted to go for a horseback ride. Good choice! We had a great time and enjoyed the break while the horse (or a mule in my case) did all of the work. Bryce was absolutely gorgeous and I wish I could have spent more time exploring.

Hoodoos

Zion National Park was the last place we stopped in Utah. Our group was supposed to be splitting in two. One was supposed to go to Angel's Landing and the other was going to The Narrows. Because of high water The Narrow's was closed. We ended up splitting and one group went to the Emerald Pools and the other went to Angel's Landing. After hiking to see all three Emerald Pools (I wanted to go to Angel's Landing but due to some issues I didn't) our small group decided that there would be plenty of time to continue on and do Angel's Landing.
Now to tell you a little about Angel's Landing. This hike is CRAZY!! First of all, there is 1,500 ft of elevation gain over just 2.5 miles. The last half mile isn't a hike. It is a rock scramble....with about 1,500 of sheer drop off on each side. It's cool though, they have a chain you can hold on to. Well, in most places at least. That last half mile was by far the scariest thing I have ever done. It took me over 30 minutes. One of the biggest problems is that there are a lot of people and there are rarely places that are wide enough for 2 people to pass. In some places the ridge seemed no more than 15 feet wide. A lot of times I found myself clinging to the edge of a rock while my feet dangled just inches from a 1,500 drop off. After hanging on the top for a little while we began the slow climb back down. It takes so long because you really have to think about every move you make because if you mess up you are in for an unfriendly tumble. This hike was by far my most favorite of the trip.

The last place we went to was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was a pretty cool place. Not exactly what I expected, there were tons of trees and it was nice and cool because it is around 8,300 ft. We spent the morning playing on The Kaibab Trail. The stats on this trail were pretty amazing. Something like 14.2 miles long and 6,000 ft of lost vertical. Needless to say, we felt that 1,000 ft was enough for us. After a long 8 days we weren't up to much hiking. That evening we had a really good dinner at the Lodge. Although it got down to about 30 degrees both nights we stayed at the North Rim, it was absolutely perfect for sleeping out under the stars. We hit up a few overlooks on the way out and then headed home!

This trip was fantastic. Riding across country in a van with a group of people you just met can be frustrating and tiresome but overall it was a great time. I made some really good friends and saw some really cool stuff. I'd definitely do it again!!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
June 9, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
David, are you going to post any pictures? I grabbed an Angel's Landing picture off the internet: http://www.davidpettitphotography.com/Images/AngelsLanding550.jpg
If this is where you hiked = crazy
David
June 9, 2009
2,444 posts
Jim, that's it. Didn't have chance to post the pictures when I did the write up. They'll be up in a few.
David
June 9, 2009
2,444 posts
Me and Keystone

1,5000 to go!!

Made it that far

Taking a break

Walter's Wiggles

Getting high

I made it!!

That's a bus down there!!

I made sure to read this AFTER I made it back down from the rock scramble portion

I made sure to fly the Shamwow!!
David
June 9, 2009
2,444 posts
Met this guy on the way down

North Rim

North Rim

This guy liked having his picture taken

Ponderosa Pine

North Rim

North Rim
fishnski
June 9, 2009
3,530 posts
I'd have to have brung some toy rifles & played Cowboys-n-Indians!!...Awesome pics Dude!
David
June 9, 2009
2,444 posts
Those were some of the highlights of the trip. Here are all 229 of my pics.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572602851HPEuYj
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?