Last weekend for Snowbird May 15-16
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
KevR
May 14, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
thanks man, won't be anywhere near the place unfortunately...
Crush
May 15, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
.. so better get your turns in fast! Should be good .... yesterday I brushed off 2-3" of snow off my car so there should be more at Snowbird. See ya!
Crush
May 15, 2004
1,271 posts
Just got back from the 'Bird.... new snow was about 4" somewhat heavy and sitting on a mostly consistant but cut-up base. Steep skiing really fun on new snow. Had a blast lots of untracked lines you could fly over it but heavy so you had to be careful of hooking and there were large goo-goo balls off the tram/hidden peak I had to do a high-speed recovery because of one (pulled it off .... ;-) in full view of the tram! Hope someone video'd it!) got separated from G/F but connected later after she found her own line down (good job!)

Lower areas were a wreck had to take some weird-ass line 6 feet wide tree-rock-stream lined chute with moguls and 35 degree pitch (actually fun as hell) to get to the base where I cross-blocked tree branches and walked over bare spots ... LOL totally worth it yet another picture locked away in the old brain.

Might go back tomorrow but probably not ... gonna get drunk and lament the end but what the hell I've skied for 6 months straight "by Gramthar's Hammer oh what a deal" ! Soon time for boating DH mountain biking and camping! And in 6 months ... :-)
KevR
May 17, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Dude that rocks! Literally and figuratively speaking apparently!!! ;-)

Um, but one simple question -- goo-goo balls?
Crush
May 20, 2004
1,271 posts
LOL ... goo-goo balls ... it may just be a Utah term but it is those balls of snow you find off of steep unmanaged snow like they are in the cartoons when somebody rolls a little snowball down a hill and it gets bigger and bigger as it rolls down the hill LOL they can get real big but it also means that (along with a little slough) the stress of the snowpack is a little relieved and avalanche danger is less (but not all gone). Anyway if you hit them going fast they can make you wreck... look out.
JohnL
May 21, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I've always used the term "frozen death cookies" for the smaller ones...

And beware the "snow snakes" hiding under the surface waiting to trip you up.
snowbird
August 18, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
snowbird is the place to be outside of north carolina.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?