Be careful what you wish for
3 posts
2 users
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 4, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
All my life I have had great luck with snow. All my friends say so. My VT/Mad River foray this year and my first 10 days or so in UT seemed to signal the end of the good luck streak. I wished mightily that it would resume, and it did - in spades. Now it is following me across the country as I try to go home. Yesterday they warned of a blizzard in western Nebraska today. Frankly I was skeptical; after the past 10 days in Litttle Cottonwood Canyon. Now I am a believer.

Yesterday I indulged my interest in history by driving US-26, The Oregon Trail, and visiting historic sights along the way. Then I drove north on US-385 to Chadron, NE so I could visit Ft. Robinson today and then continue east on US-20. The road is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. I awoke today to snow blowing sideways and the sound of wind pounding the little motel and decided to cancel the plan and drive south to I-80 where early morning Doppler showed only rain. How bad could the drive on 385 be? It turns out pretty damn bad. After 55 miles and 3 hrs. of the worst white knuckle driving I have ever experienced I came to the little town of Alliance and found a motel to wait out the storm. I don't think my nerves could have handled the additional 50 miles to get to (the safety?) of I-80 where it has now turned to snow as well.
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NEZ003&warncounty=NEC013&firewxzone=NEZ200&local_place1=Alliance+NE&product1=Blizzard+Warning US-385 runs almost straight north-south and the wind came from the west at a steady 30-40 mph. Rivers of white streamed across the road. I saw drifting in action big time. At times I ploughed through ridge after ridge of deep drifted snow. The road disappeared for 30 - 60 seconds at a time. I like my face shots on skis, thank you, not while driving.
was very grateful for my Outback, new snow tires, and winter wiper blades.

I am never going to attempt driving in a blizzard on the plains again. Hopefully it will clear tonight so I can get to Chicago for an appointment on Tues.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 4, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
The weather channel is now showing this storm bringing snow to the mid Atlantic Apps in a few days. For those who are so inclined a few inches of powder on top of the old man made glacier makes for some very nice spring turns. Skins may be required. I don't know when TL & CV will close.
skier219
April 4, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yep, a possible 10-12" for Weds in the WV mountains. Will snow through Weds evening, but turn to rain on Thurs. If I can use this as a reason to pull my AT gear out of the closet, I will!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?