Let's go summer skiing!!!!
19 posts
9 users
4k+ views
KevR
May 14, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Hey Warren from another thread post this lovely little link for Whistler/Blackcomb: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/summer/glacier.asp

Which I thought was really cool and looks -- well doable. Anyway, I just wondered what other places people thought made for even marginal skiing in summer. Obviously there are the well known areas such Chile and so on, all cool stuff and I'd like to hear more (although we have had some lengthy discussion on this in past). But I'm all a twitter for new ideas, new places...

I wish I could contribute but I've never skied before December or after April, so I'm a total non-winter ski virgin...
[Frown]
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
May 17, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Rumor has it that PSC is running a trip to Portillo this summer:

http://www.pentagonskiclub.org/

There's no listing on their web site yet but it might be worth e-mailing them about it. For single travelers, this trip might be a good option. Chile is a long plane ride, so it might be cool to have some people to chat with on the flight.
ridesno
May 17, 2004
Member since 11/22/2003 🔗
9 posts
For skiing/rideing south america check POWDERQUEST.COM
May 17, 2004
1,986 posts
Here's another plug for powderquest.com.

They offer guided backcountry expeditions in the Andes plus trips to the major resorts.

David Owen, the owner of Powderquest, is a native of this region, so he understands how much we crave powder during the warmer months. He's very approachable and will make sure you get a trip that matches your ability and interests. If you tell him that you are only comfortable with blue trails at Snowshoe, he'll know exactly what you are saying and get you on the right expedition.

On the other hand, he also knows that this region has some top talent. In other words, he has freerider trips that might even challenge JohnL. [Wink]

Here's Dave Owen's his bio:

"From the day I first stepped into a pair of skis at Wintergreen back in 1976, I was hooked. I wanted to be in the mountains more than gringos in Chile crave peanut butter.

After discovering snowboarding with Adam, Erin, and Blaise 16 years ago, the addiction carried beyond Dar's ski weekends and the powder at "Powerlines"; it was the soul of it all.
Soul is about exploring, experiencing the goods with friends, and living for the moment. Soul is PowderQuest's philosophy.

I carry these memories today as my passion to ride and dreams to travel have taken me on my own PowderQuest. The mountains and volcanoes of Colorado, Wyoming, Canada, Alaska, Chile and Argentina have been my main focus.

In 1994, my wanderlust began, and before I knew it, I had explored, surfed, and snowboarded 15 Latin American Countries. After landing in South America's outdoor adventure mecca, Pucon, Chile, I built an adventure tourism company, mastered the Spanish language, and established residence in this mystical country.

I have spent the past six years running PowderQuest Tours, living an unforgettable cultural experience, and driven by the Andean powder and Patagonia's unrivaled backcountry spring conditions. I invite you to experience the soul of your very own PowderQuest, this year in the Southern Andes, with PowderQuest Tours."

Here's his e-mail:

info@powderquest.com
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
KevR
May 17, 2004
786 posts
Cool info thanks. Actually prices didn't seem to outrageous but i didn't read the fine print. Perhaps the Pentagon Ski Club... It's true I don't know anyone at all that would even *consider* skiing in the summertime... well and spring and fall. NOT ONE!
warren
May 18, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Well, I always *consider* it but my wife quickly brings me back from my daydreams of making a trek to South America, New Zealand, etc during our Spring/Summer. [Razz] Maybe some day I'll convince her it's a good way to cool off from the summer heat for a week [Wink] (she's a non-skier).

-Warren-
May 18, 2004
1,986 posts
My wife IS a skier and South America has also been an IMPOSSIBLE sell as a summer trip.

Ironically, she would love to go there during the South American summer because that's the time when you can see penguins and travel to the national parks in the Patagonia area, but winter does not offer much in the way of outdoor tourism except of course, skiing. [Wink]
KevR
May 19, 2004
786 posts
I looked at the prices again for south america and I decided I was wrong after all. They seem dang high to me! I feel like I am talking in circles and we have this conversation before.
[Razz]
May 19, 2004
1,986 posts
Kevin:

Wait 30 days and then check the fares. Airline prices are spiking right now for several reasons:

1. High fuel costs
2. Record Demand for Summer Travel
3. Record pasport applications

I suspect things will cool down in 30-60 days.
RyanC
May 20, 2004
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
Speaking of currently high airfares, it costs $900 (not a misprint) round-trip to fly economy from BWI to Morgantown, WV (US Airways). Is that crazy or what? For a 4 hr drive, I can see maybe $200 RT, but certainly no more. You can fly non-stop from BWI to Myrtle Beach on Hooters for $129 each way, that includes leather seats, snacks, and two hooters girls on each flight! And the flight time is about 50 min. vs. a 9 hr drive...
vesty
May 23, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
48 posts
Thanks for the really good information and very interesting web site. I have seriously considered skiing this summer as I am a teacher and I have most of the summer off. My husband is very supportive (skiier) but I have concerns about going alone.
I went to Nags Head last weekend and had a great time except for the part about constantly thinking about skiing. Can't we just skip the summer and fall all together? Waiting for snow is going to be very painful for me... [Roll Eyes]
gatkinso
May 27, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Well I think there is summer skiing in Norway if South America is not your thing.
NCskier
May 28, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned Timberline at Mt. Hood, A-Basin, possibly Mt. Baker, or Mt. Bachaelor. There is also Australia. Sunshine Village in Canada recently closed. Killington sometimes makes it to Memorial day or past it. Tenney Mountain in NH has special snowmaking in summertime tempetures, but they can't cover a lot of ground. They should have skiing this summer in a small terrain park and a tubing run. A lot of European resorts are open in the summer. If you like to earn your turns, you can go to a lot of backcountry places like Mt. Shasta, Mt. adams, and pretty much any other places that has snow. I have also heard Grand Targee opens for a few weeks in the summer, but they might not do that anymore.
NCskier
May 28, 2004
30 posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned Timberline at Mt. Hood, A-Basin, possibly Mt. Baker, or Mt. Bachaelor. There is also Australia. Sunshine Village in Canada recently closed. Killington sometimes makes it to Memorial day or past it. Tenney Mountain in NH has special snowmaking in summertime tempetures, but they can't cover a lot of ground. They should have skiing this summer in a small terrain park and a tubing run. A lot of European resorts are open in the summer. If you like to earn your turns, you can go to a lot of backcountry places like Mt. Shasta, Mt. adams, and pretty much any other places that has snow. I have also heard Grand Targee opens for a few weeks in the summer, but they might not do that anymore.
NCskier
May 28, 2004
30 posts
NCskier
May 28, 2004
30 posts
sorry for the triple post. My computer hasn't been working right, and I thought it was frozen.
June 6, 2004
1,986 posts
Some of the New Zealand areas look to open tomorrow:

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3762-3409747,00.html
Crush
June 7, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
NCskier - yup Timberline is a nice escape if you don;t want to travel too far. Not a whole lot to do in Gov't Camp but several years in a row I attended Rowmark Academy's Master Race Camp (see http://www.rowmark.org) taught by my ski mentor Olle Larsson (think coach for Peek Street and Hilary Lindh) and it is a fun way to ski in July. Palmer snowfield was a little sketchy sometimes but it was always fun. PLUS: my god if you are into demo'ing skis that is the place and time since every single manufacturer is out there with free demos of the latest-n-greatest, just because there are so many racers training! BUT ... the downside ... well I would never go unless I was with a racing school. The public lane is crowded and messed up, but if you are training you get your own lane and then it is a blast! And the timberline lodge is really nice with great food and drink.
KevR
June 8, 2004
786 posts
well care to rate them? I mean is it worth flying a few hours for 2 or 3 days of skiing a bit? OR would it would better to really plunk down the big $$$ and got Portillo or some other far away land. (which in all honesty it *probably* isn't worth it to me... but maybe!)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.