Biking Canaan Valley - WV
12 posts
5 users
7k+ views
TGV
March 28, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
There is no more biking in the Dolly Sods wilderness area (North or South) as of two days ago. It's signed off.
It's super sad, but there are plenty of trails remaining though.

MAPS
Roger Lilly (Davis - Blackwater Bikes) and crew has generously helped with sorting out trails. The first news:
TOP 20 Trail rides have been selected and are now in production. Roger will have them available at the bike shop within 2 weeks.

SPRING
Spring cleaning takes place in about 10 days at Timberline. Getting the downhill trails ready will take time but we will keep you updated.

WET or DRY
That's a good question. 3 days ago, I would have said that we had a drought going. Today, we are much happier in that respect as we badly needed the rain. We'll keep the weather in mind when recommending trails, so that you are not mud-biking too much.

Before we get started, and when ever possible: Please try to avoid super wet and fragile trails. Stay high and dry.

I want to bike and ski in the same day... this should be possible all NEXT WEEK.

WHO?
Anyone wants to join for some easy biking and skiing Mon, Tue, or Wed of next week?

Stay tuned at Visit Canaan .
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I assume you mean hiking to ski since timberline is closed midweek.
The Colonel smile
TGV
March 29, 2009
337 posts
Earning our turns... during mid-week... indeed.
Personally, I just got use of my left arm and need the exercise. I'll take it super easy and look forward a perfect Monday.
Fleetwood
March 31, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Somewhere on this forum, I stumbled upon www.damaps.com, which is an awesome, if not somewhat overwhelming, resource. I am trying to get my buddies to head out to the Davis area this year for a weekend of riding and camping. With so many options to choose from, I'd appreciate recommendations for first timers on must ride trails, as well as camping areas with easy access to the trails.

We'll probably have a little time on a Friday afternoon for a ride, and then all day Saturday to explore. We are currently looking to go at the end of May. Thanks for any suggestions.
tgd
March 31, 2009
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Fleetwood: There is great riding all over Canaan Valley - just depends on what you are looking for. Most of the signature trails in the Valley are very rocky and technical - Plantation, Moonrocks (CVI trail network expert loop), Allegheny. There are easier options though also - Canaan Valley State Park, CVI trail network beginner loop. There is also a great 10 mile downhill ride on an old rail grade in the Blackwater Canyon. Finally, there is real white knuckle lift-assisted/gravity-fed DH riding at Timberline (though I don't know when they will open this Spring). So - what kind of riding do you want to do?

DA Maps is cool - created by none other than DC Ski's own TGV (Vic).

Tom
Fleetwood
April 1, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
We are probably looking for more beginner/intermediate trails in order to get to know the place a little, take in some of the natural beauty, and do some camping (and maybe even a little hiking).

We are thinking of trying to camp in/around Davis the first time out. There seems to be a cool mountain biking vibe in that little town, and plenty of access to trails.

I've made my way to a couple of other mountain biking sites (singletracks, mtbr), which are also nice resources, but I'm still open to recommendations from DCSkiers for sure.

thanks!
tgd
April 2, 2009
585 posts
If you are car camping, there are some great spots along Camp 70 Road and the Blackwater River right outside Davis. Camp for free here and you will have easy access to town and some of the best beginner and intermediate riding in the area just outside your tent. Camp 70 Road is a beginner 10 mile out and back that starts as a gravel fire road and degrades into a rough jeep trail towards its end. Great views along the river and at the end of the trail. There is some beginner and intermediate singletrack riding on the CVI property right off Camp 70 road away from the River. There is also a cool advanced/expert loop there that takes you to a crazy old strip mining area dubbed "Moonrocks".

Here is an older thread about beginner riding in CV from DCSki a few years back here: Good Beginner MTB Trails in CV?

If you can arrange a shuttle - the 10 mile downhill along the Blackwater Canyon Rail grade is a spectacular and easy ride from Thomas to Parsons. There is also a multi-use rail trail in Parsons that connects all the way to Elkins another 45 miles or so away.

Tom
TGV
April 2, 2009
337 posts
Glad that you got to www.damaps.com - it's a 4+ year project, and this year, we're adding more than ever.
The compilation is all done on www.visitcanaan.com where all trails are available.
In the forecast:
New trails super easy, easy, moderate, advanced, and expert will be added in the next 5 weeks.
Brand new sorting tool will also make its appearence: you'll be able to click on your level and see various trails appearing all over the place on the area's map.
New trail maps will be available at Blackwater Bikes and similar.
Recommendations: as mentioned earlier, probably the best place to get acquainted with our trails is to ride from a place called CAMP 70. The reason?
Start right from town, make a 0.7 mile loop or a 23+ mile loop (and everything in between). Bell-out at any time, or almost!

Here's a sample: http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1181
Enjoy.
crunchy
April 2, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
theres some nice riding in blackwater falls state park too which you can ride right to from town. you can even camp there too. some trails you can ditch your bike in the woods and hike down to the falls and hang out on rocks.
you can do a nice ride through blackwater falls on something like dobbin house trail, hit canyon rim trail and over to the olsen tower which has nice views of the blackwater canyon. thats a mellow long ride. ask the guys at blackwater bikes for a map! tell us when you are going for sure. some of us will be there im sure and can possibly show ya round also.
Fleetwood
April 14, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Everyone, thanks for all of the information.

On another forum, a private campsite near town referred to as Rest Rite was mentioned, but I cannot find any information about it. Does anyone have any idea what campsite they were talking about?
Fleetwood
April 22, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Originally Posted By: TGV

We've made our reservations at Blackrock Falls State Park for the last weekend in May. Still studying the trail maps to plot and plan our rides while we are there.

TGV - trail 1181 that you linked to shows as Advanced. Is that because it is very technical, or is it more due to its length?

Btw, I bought a new Gary Fisher Tassajaro Disc this past weekend. Hopefully, I'll be on some local Richmond trails this weekend!
tgd
April 23, 2009
585 posts
IMO this trail is considered advanced primarily for 2 features - the Moonrocks section - an abandoned strip mine with deeply gouged and eroded bedrock. It's uphill too if you follow the directions on TGV's map - between 17-19 on the map.

Also, there is Hoodoo Rocks, which is a steep switchbacked climb over rocks, leading to some challenging rock gardens, then a nice downhill. This is around points 20-21.

These sections are easy enough to walk - though Moonrocks is a real challenge to try and ride. I'd say other than those sections, this is an intermediate trail - all told about it's about a 13 mile loop - but it can take a couple hours to complete.

I believe, the easiest single track is at Canaan Valley State Park - about 10 miles south on 32 from Davis.

Tom

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?