The Sorceror's Apprentice
12 posts
8 users
2k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I loved the Disney cartoon rendition of this classic. I reported already on yesterday at Alta. The new storm was supposed to do it's major dumpage tonight. It must have arrived early. I got off the first bus this morning to find that the usually groomed avenue to the doors at the Albion base was 2 feet deep in new snow with drifts much deeper. The road up Little Cottonwood Canyon was scheduled for closure for Avalanche control from 10 - 2. I got in line for the lift, about 10th in line, and the lifts were on hold until patrol gave the OK. As it opened at 9:40 the liftee said; "Welcome to the Alta Club folks, it's all yours today." Only 3 lifts would run, Sunnyside, Collins, Wildcat. The latter 2 are quite prone to whiteout at the top and I was alone so I stayed at Sunnyside. I just about wet my pants as I rode up and looked at a totally untracked Vail Ridge. Of course I jumped on it. The powder apron began to creep up my body, shin deep, knee deep, thigh deep - - STOP. This on a rollover somewhere around 35 degrees in pitch, normally that is, in the absence of drifts. 2 guys came after me with the same result. To get out we had to leapfrog one another. Follow in the lead guy's tracks and when you are about to run into him swing to the side and let momentum push out another 20 feet of track; take turns and repeat. It was wild. Snow and wind pounded. I had a great time anyway, but really, be careful what you wish for. smile
BushwackerinPA
March 25, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
I loved the Disney cartoon rendition of this classic. I reported already on yesterday at Alta. The new storm was supposed to do it's major dumpage tonight. It must have arrived early. I got off the first bus this morning to find that the usually groomed avenue to the doors at the Albion base was 2 feet deep in new snow with drifts much deeper. The road up Little Cottonwood Canyon was scheduled for closure for Avalanche control from 10 - 2. I got in line for the lift, about 10th in line, and the lifts were on hold until patrol gave the OK. As it opened at 9:40 the liftee said; "Welcome to the Alta Club folks, it's all yours today." Only 3 lifts would run, Sunnyside, Collins, Wildcat. The latter 2 are quite prone to whiteout at the top and I was alone so I stayed at Sunnyside. I just about wet my pants as I rode up and looked at a totally untracked Vail Ridge. Of course I jumped on it. The powder apron began to creep up my body, shin deep, knee deep, thigh deep - - STOP. This on a rollover somewhere around 35 degrees in pitch, normally that is, in the absence of drifts. 2 guys came after me with the same result. To get out we had to leapfrog one another. Follow in the lead guy's tracks and when you are about to run into him swing to the side and let momentum push out another 20 feet of track; take turns and repeat. It was wild. Snow and wind pounded. I had a great time anyway, but really, be careful what you wish for. smile

sorry you piss me off.

ski sunnyside on 2 foot powder day because it whiteout on top? sunnyside is the flattest lift ever...

get some sensor mirrors, lock your [censored] heel down on some real size skis and ski someplace that has pitch.

yes I am mad about not being there but at least you could do it properly.
skier219
March 25, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Shoot, I was thinking Denis chose wisely. Vail Ridge is a hidden gem. I've chased fresh lines off wind-packed, skier-frenzied, Collins/Wildcat when much better skiing could have been found at Vail Ridge. Though short in vert, it's steep, sheltered, and the terrain is every bit as good as other spots on the mountain.

OK, so if I was there I would have been chasing a hopeless dream off some other lift, but I still think Denis made an excellent choice.

I will say this, when Supreme opens after this storm, that will be the place to be. I've never gotten to ski it with such epic snow.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 25, 2009
2,337 posts
Thanks BW. I'm with you in spirit. However when you retire, they give you a license to do what you want and not worry about what anybody else thinks.

That said, today was definitely a day for super wide rockered tip skis. I'll bet that the folks on those had a great day, along with the folks on snowboards at Snowbird. I saw some of those skis on the bus but saw none on the slope. Yesterday I saw, talked with and skied with folks who had such skis. I want a pair. smile
GGNagy
March 26, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I forgot what board this was on and I thought it was going to be another Magic thread. smile
jimmy
March 30, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Ha Denis, Bushwacker this thread remind me of that joke about the Old Bull and the Young Bull, standing at the top of the hill looking at a field full of cows. Don't worry Bush, denis will get it all, eventually.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2009
2,337 posts
Why I like Albion

Yesterday was the second day after a storm and so I began the day by snooping around my favorite stashes at Albion. They were great. As usual it was easy to find untracked lines. My plan was to go to Sugarloaf after 2-3 Albion runs, then Supreme and check out Catherine's, then Greeley, then maybe Devil's Castle or Fred's Trees under the Collins lift. It was so good I did about a dozen runs at Albion. There was a lull in the snow and a bit of sun so I figured visibility would be no problem. The top of Sugarloaf was windy & cold but good visibility. I headed for Glory gulch. There is normally good untracked above and below the actual gully. There was but not enough pitch, I stalled out several times. Up again, took Collins Return Traverse intending to do Greeley. Just before reaching the top of the Collins lift it socked in with fog. I couldn't see the start of the Greeley traverse from 50 ft. away. I considered bailing on the groomed run that leads over to the Sugarloaf side. I watched a guy drop over the edge. He made one turn then disappeared in the fog. Bad idea. I headed out the High Traverse to the trees under the lift which would provide visual reference so I wouldn't get vertigo. It was good but it wasn't untracked. I am now totally spoiled. I want light perfect untracked powder for every turn. I don't give a rat's ssa about the pitch so long as I can move at a reasonable speed. That being such that the slow stately rise & sink, turn turn turn floaty feeling is there. Fred's Trees was fun, but the snow there was previously used. I was missing the totally untracked. So at the bottom I grabbed hold of the transfer lift rope tow back to Albion. iT WAS THEN THAT THE SKIP LUNCH LATE DAY FATIGUE HIT ME. i COULDN'T HANG ONTO THE ROPE ALL THE WAY. i GOT OFF AT THE BASE OF THE HANDLE TOW (caps lock, sorry) that returns folks to the Snowpine lodge. It was sunny again and an idea hit. I was too tired to do much more but I would end the day by laying some fresh tracks in the untouched powder to the side of the handle tow. And so I did and about a dozen turns. Looking back up my tracks looked textbook perfect. I went home satisfied. I learned this philosophy at Whitegrass.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Denis,
Did you get a picture of the perfect tracks?
The Colonel smile
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2009
2,337 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Denis,
The Colonel smile

No, and I tried. My camera has gotten weird. It doesn't seem to like the cold and when I try to use it on the slopes the lens often doesn't come out all the way which means it won't take a pic. I do have a few from before this happened and I need to get myself a hosting site and do some pictorial reports.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2009
2,337 posts
MORE

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SALT LAKE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 AM MDT FRIDAY.

THIS WARNING IS FOR THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN AND CENTRAL UTAH.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 24 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY MID MORNING
FRIDAY.

http://www.alta.com/pages/report.php
Murphy
April 2, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
Denis,
The Colonel smile

No, and I tried. My camera has gotten weird. It doesn't seem to like the cold and when I try to use it on the slopes the lens often doesn't come out all the way which means it won't take a pic.

Is this a euphemism or are ya'll really talking about photography?
David
April 2, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
MORE

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SALT LAKE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 AM MDT FRIDAY.

THIS WARNING IS FOR THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN AND CENTRAL UTAH.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO 24 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY MID MORNING
FRIDAY.

http://www.alta.com/pages/report.php

Gee, I'm getting tired of hearing this!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?