14 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Crush
April 29, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
REPEATED ON "Re: Depression over yet?" THREAD -
Just so you know .... yesterday April 28 @ Snowbird ... Sunny blue-bird day, highs in the upper 60's. At 10:00 AM groomers were a very hard surface, off trail was re-frozen crust. 10:30 lower trails like Bassackwards started to change over to corn, plesant crusing; Mineral basin very difficult re-frozen variable crust as was all off-trail lines. By 10:30 lower trails like chip's face were very loose and wet; bassackwards still good; Mineral basin/hidden peak/sliver fox/ off-trail loose wet but skiable and consistant. All steep skiing very good. Great Scott chute closed because of rocks. By 1:00 PM heavy wet everywhere. Mineral basin still skiable off-trail but very heavy slush ~3" deep... caution!

Today April 29 - 3" new snow. 10:30 AM snowbird; Groomed trailed very creamy but occasional ice under a uniform surface. Off-trail very difficult with 3" of powder on top of re-frozen hard surface. Mineral Basin very bumpy off-trail, variable, some powder 4" deep in select areas at 12:30 PM. Caution on all steeps skiing off Hidden Peak/Tram. Silver Fox - 3" of heavy snow on top of hard slick surface bumpy in some areas be careful on all steep skiing. Groomers were quite nice.

Good luck!
KevR
May 3, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Thanks dude, the fantasy continues... memorial day skiing?

[Wink]
KevR
May 4, 2004
786 posts
And from their website now: Snowbird plans to close for the season May 31, 2004 - Conditions Permitting

STILL TIME!!!!!

[Big Grin]
KevR
May 4, 2004
786 posts
A little more info for the adventuresome:

Monday, May 10: All lifts closed. ***The Tram and Little Cloud Chair Lift will go to a week ends only schedule for skiers & riders. They will operate, conditions permitting, until & including Memorial Day.***
[Cool]
jimmy
May 5, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Crush, good to know someone's still making turns! Please be careful; if the depression sets in after your LONG SEASON we might have to change your name to Crash. [Razz]

Have a good summer
Crush
May 7, 2004
1,274 posts
REPEATED ON "Depression over yet" thread --
UPDATE - Snowbird, UT
May 6 2004 - 11:30 AM - Lower groomed trails are evaporating; many bare spots starting to appear.

Tram-only tickets now in effect ... Road to Provo now the only goomed run ... all other routes considered unmanaged/out of bounds.

All ropes and signage removed, you are on your own.

FOR EXPERTS - skiing after 11:00 AM delightful. Steep skiing off the tram somewhat moguled but in rhythm. You can ski anywhere your judgement takes you but expect no avi control/safety from sk patrol. many chutes getting narrrow and exposed due to sun/heat but surface semi-consistant and OK depth. Doing chute near Silver Fox I found good snow up to bottleneck where shade created semi-hard snow at 50 degree slope .. caution in steep skiing but good overall.

Going to ski more this weekend will update ...
Crush--
snowbird
May 7, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
oh rub it in rub it in. wish i was at the bird right now. however my two trips out there this season were fantastic. i would much rather go mid winter than spring. and since i was there for the huge holiday storm had my season ended after that i woulda said it was a great season. over 70 inches of snow while we were there. nothing but powder runs for a week. it doesnt get any better than that. and then a nice spring week spent out at the bird in march. great skiing with no clouds in the sky. nice and warm, a boarders delight.
however im headed to cali in july, and to jackson hole in dec. so i got stuff to look foward to. and back to utah for my last ever spring break in college in march. its been a great 5 years so far gotta end it on a great note as well. last semester is gonna be a total joke.
KevR
May 10, 2004
786 posts
Crush, keep the updates coming... even if I don't ultimately make it out there this spring, we can live vicariously through you!!!
[Big Grin]
Crush
May 11, 2004
1,274 posts
SKI REPORT - MAY 8TH - SNOWBIRD
Sunny blue-bird day temps at 3:00 in high 60's. Skiing very good off of tram/hidden peak. Snow at 9,000+ a little wet but consistant ... high speed runs good and fun ... G/F had a good time on ungroomed runs. Only Tram/Little Cloud running. Road to provo only ungroomed run, but Chips of the top very good unmanaged snow. Expect bare spots on lower runs, some areas require walking.

Snow today ... 3" in the Wasatch, maybe more tonight ... stay in tune.
KevR
May 13, 2004
786 posts
Crush(er) -- will it make it to May 31?
KevR
May 13, 2004
786 posts
Hmm Whistler/Blackcomb summer glacier skiing -- tell us more!

[Razz]
warren
May 14, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
The Snowbird website has now posted that Sunday 5/16/04 will be last day of spring skiing/riding. [Frown] I guess it had to end sometime. Now, I guess I can look at the Whistler-Blackcomb webcams for their spring skiing and summer glacier skiing [Cool]

-Warren-
warren
May 14, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
On Whistler mountain there is Spring skiing (with mandatory download on the Whistler Gondola at the end of the day) until June 6th. Then, from June 7th until August 1st there is Summer Glacier skiing on Blackcomb mountain. My understanding is that it is soft corn snow conditions. I understand that it's a great chance for mogul practice [Big Grin] Here's a link to the Whistler-Blackcomb website page on the Summer skiing
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/summer/glacier.asp

Enjoy, [Cool]
-Warren-
KevR
May 14, 2004
786 posts
Dude, swwweeeeeeeeeet...!

Seriously that looks pretty dang cool! I'd like to see a list of places folks can go summer skiing, 'spose I should start a new thread.

[Big Grin]

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.