Skiing in PA on Saturday, March 21?
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
scootertig
March 20, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
(I posted the question in another thread, but I figured it deserves its own home)

Which is my better bet tomorrow -

Hidden Valley (free with canned food donation)

or Roundtop (free with my Snowtime Night Club Card)?

I've never skied Roundtop, so I don't even know what expect there, and I'm wondering if HV will be a nightmare with tons of people and crazy lines.

Any ideas?

aaron
BushwackerinPA
March 20, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
I dont know about roundtop, but not sure how many people will come for free this time of year. I wish I coudl tell you.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 20, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Assuming Roundtop is still in good condition (they do some glacial snowmaking in early-mid season) it would offer small crowds and short but decent challenges.
KeithT
March 20, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Aaron, I've enjoyed the times I've ventured up to RT. I have never skied HV, so I add that as a disclaimer. RT is short, but it also has some steep runs. The top of Gunbarrell is about as steep as you can get in the DC area--steeper than anything South of BK and East of SS. The bottom is usually bumped up with a sneak route on the left side. The top of Ramrod is also steep but usually scraped off and the bottom is a nice run out. Both of these are served by their own lift which helps with the crowds. Exhibition and Susquehanna are also nice runs, albeit a little short and there is a double that goes to the top of Exhibition. They usually race there but I doubt it this weekend. Minuteman is a wide consitent pitch blue slope, and Upper Lafayettes is usually half bumps, half groomed-it is short. Barretts trail, if open, is a nice narrow twisty thing that is fun while it lasts. The thing about RT to me is that almost all the trails seem different and distinct, which is something I cannot say about WT or Lib.

I would go up if I could, but have other things to attend to this weekend--so my season is almost certainly over absent a weather miracle.
Leo
March 20, 2009
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Scootertig....despite the promotion at HV, which I think is cool and really speaks to the character of the owners, I can almost promise you that it won't be crowded. As per usual, interest died before the snow. Last weekend, with discounted rates and plenty of season pass holders, it was basically a ghost town.

Looking at the trail cams this morning, it looks like the front side is still decent as far as coverage is concerned. I would expect Imperial, Cobra, Continental, Thunderbird and Riviera to be open. And the forecast is sun and reasonably warm...
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?