helmet cam
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
SkiBoarder
March 12, 2009
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
I am interested in getting a helmet cam. Any recommendations?

I see costs out there from $31 to $250. Looking for the best cost/perfomance ratio.

Would plan to use mountain biking and skiing/snowboarding.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 12, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Once again, I recommend skier219 for info on helmet cams. He did a ton of research and I think bought several models before finding the best fit.
There is a thread elsewhere on DCSki from about a couple months ago about his recommendations.
PM him and he will either tell you where to look, or share his info again.
The Colonel smile
David
March 12, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Here is a quote from a thread a while back ago when Craig was asked what kind of camera he uses.

Originally Posted By: skier219
I have the VIO POV.1. I tried a couple of helmet cams, and this was by far the best one (and the most expensive, unfortunately). The image quality is good, but what I really like is the excellent cold-weather battery life. I can let it run for a full 7-8 hour ski day and still have 1/3 to 1/2 charge at the end of the day.
skier219
March 12, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah, you can go with the cheaper cams, but both image quality and battery life suffer. I came to the realization that I was far better off putting the $160-200 I'd spend on a cheaper cam towards the VIO, which I got on Amazon for $550. I am really glad I went that route -- the VIO is top notch, and should last a long time.

Some of the cheaper cams require lithium batteries in order to get passable cold weather performance (still only 1-3 hours max), and they run about $8 per pack. Consider you'd need a new pack every 1-3 hours of use, and do the math. That adds up very quickly. I spent about $15 for rechargeable Energizer AAs for the VIO, and get about 10-14 hours of use off each charge. I can let the camera run for a whole ski day and not worry about trying to conserve battery. The VIO lets you "tag" segments you want to keep, or you can manually press record/stop buttons on the small wireless remote.
SkiBoarder
March 13, 2009
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
Thanks for the info.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?