Best Way to Vermont?
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
powderpig
April 5, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Im heading up to Killington this weekend for a stupid cheap four days of spring skiing (although the conditions dont seem so springy right now!). Its been a while since I have been to VT and I was wondering about a few alternate routes. Ill be skipping 95 and the NJ turnpike and heading up through Scranton on 84. But I dont know what is faster from there, taking 91N or 87N? I dont mind paying a toll on 87 if its faster. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
-pig
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 5, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I've taken a variety of routes over the years, NJ, PA, NY state, Conn, Mass, etc.; but none real frequently. Others may know better, but I think I87 and then using Rt 4 up by Glens Falls to get to Rutland/Killington to finish your trip would be faster then going over to 91 from Scranton. I also think I95 and NJ route is faster than going up I81 via Scranton, but acknowledge that tolls and disaster factor are higher in Jersey. That stretch on 84 from Scranton to I87 is one high, lonesome highway and can get nasty in the dead of winter, but should be ok now.
rmcva
April 5, 2004
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
I've driven I-95, NJ TPK, Garden State Pkwy, I-87 To Exit 20 Glens Falls & Rt 4 to Rutland/Killington. With good weather, it was right at 9 hrs and 524 miles. Didn't keep track of the tolls but it was a few bucks.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
April 5, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I took rmcva's route in December of 2003 and found it to be about 9 hours, give or take. The constant tolls on the Garden State are annoying but it's the most direct route. An alternative to the Garden State is 287 through Morristown. It's a few more miles but sometimes faster when traffic is heavy.
JohnL
April 5, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
quote:
It was just after dark when the truck started down
the hill that leads into Scranton Pennsylvania.
Carrying thirty thousand pounds of bananas.

One reason to stay away from Scranton.

I echo what Johnfmh, rmcva and JimK have recommended. In particular, I prefer 287 vs the Garden State in northern Jersey.

I'd avoid I-91. You have to go through Hartford & Springfield and then you have to cut back west when you hit Vermont. Connecticut is known for having particularly aggressive and treacherous state & local police. (I grew up there.) They pioneered the use of unmarked cars for nabbing speeders. There is one famous instance of a local sheriff pulling over speeders using the town's dump truck. (Or maybe it was a cement mixer?)
powderpig
April 6, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Thanks to all for the info. I checked mapquest from York, PA to Rutland and it gives exactly 8 hours from York via 83N to 81N to 78E to 287N to 87N. I think this may be my best bet as I dont want anything to do with Philly, NJ, NYC around rush hour and I definitely dont want to deal with any of Connecticut's finest.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
April 6, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
First law of travel: NEVER EVER TRUST MAPQUEST. Case in point, have it route you from DC to Timberline and see the crazy route it spits out. I can't tell you how many of my friends have been foiled by Mapquest directions.

If you hit NYC at rush hour, take the 287 route, but don't waste your time with the mapquest directions--it's a 10 hour drive going that way--trust me, I've taken the 83N to 81N to 78E route in the past to Boston, and it added a lot of additional time to the trip...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?