Anybody ski Hidden Valley 3/1?
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Just curious, how were conditions today? Were they sugary granular served up in loose piles over groomer tracked ice?
gizmosnow
March 1, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Conditions pretty much as you described although the 'groomer tracked ice' was not nearly as prevalent as I experienced at 7S earlier this week or at Wisp last Sunday. Overall, conditions were reasonably good and weather was great -- not too warm or cold.

BTW, word is that March 22nd will be HV's last day of season (assuming weather & conditions don't force an earlier closing).
snosnugums
March 1, 2009
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
Given the long range weather forecast, and the base they've built up, why would they close so early?? I would be very dissappointed if they closed that early. Last year they stretched the season into April. Now there weren't alot of skiers, but most folks assume skiing won't be available in April in this area. I have noticed that they appear to have given up making snow. I have not seen a snow gun on since Predidents day weekend and that was only one gun on Thunderbird. It seems that Scott (the guy from 7Springs) is running the place differently than the Buncher's did last year.
While we haven't had any major warmups this year, we've had repeating weather pattern of cold then rain, a little snow, windy, cold, then rain, a little snow, windy, etc., etc. It has been tough to maintain good surface conditions with that kind of weather pattern. But at least, there have been no extended warm periods where we lost the entire snow base like some past years.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I was curious about HV. The conditions I described were at 7S today. It was the worst March 1 conditions I've ever skied but I know the recent thaw/freeze cycles have taken their toll.

I think the next few nights will tell if the local resorts are done making snow. It's not unusual that snowmaking becomes limited in March to patching high traffic areas. Now resorts begin to move and groom the base built over winter and depend more on mother nature to provide a refresh. Snowmaking has got to be the largest expense for eastern ski areas. They've got to weigh that expense against expected skier visits. Often times we skiers don't like the decision.
Taylormatt
March 2, 2009
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
The skiing was better than you could ever imagine for the recent cycle. The few gray patches that we did have were completely carveable. No losing your edges.
KeithT
March 2, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Originally Posted By: Laurel Hill Crazie
Were they sugary granular served up in loose piles over groomer tracked ice?

This describes Wisp after about 10:30am on Sat. and Sun. Some FG to be found on the front blacks, but otherwise a mess unless you hit it first thing.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?