When Does Shays/Cupp Normally Close?
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
JohnL
February 26, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
Any ideas of when Lower/Upper Shays/Cupp @ Snowshoe typically close? I realize this can very from year to year (and Shays never opened last year.) I've got some lift tix to the Shoe, and won't be able to use them until Mar 23-24 (perfect timing for Spring conditions?) I need to determine if I should unload or use 'em.

Lou and other Snowshoe regulars, any info on what the current base depths look like?

Thanks in advance.
David
February 26, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I think that area usually always closes when conditions get to be too bad (ie, too much melting, exposed rocks, dirt, etc.) or just when Snowshoe closes for good....

Sorry wink
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Silver Creek supposedly closes next week. With another major dump possible this weekend, I would think possible that all of Western Territory may be open by then. Even if Upper Shays is left much narrower. There is so much snow that I couldn't find a thin spot in the entire Western side. This AM, even the tree glades had snow

The snow depths are amazing and the crews have done an amazing job at grooming. There has been some over-grooming on the main basin, especially in the Soaring Eagle side. Skier's right on Widow Maker is thin, not due to lack of snowfall, however. Same with Camp 99. :-((
rmcva
February 26, 2009
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Update - per Snowshoe staff today, Silver Creek closing date is now March 15.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Thanks. It would be a shame to have Silver Creek close with such good conditions as we have at SS/SC. Besides, the weekends are still crowded and Silver Creek is the steam relief.
skier219
February 26, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I've skied Cupp / Shays into April when SS stayed open that long in the past. I think the trails will stay open as long as there is snow. One year, we were skiing ribbons between dirt patches on one section of upper Shays in order to get down to lower Shays. I was surprised they kept the trail open, because the skiing was technical and not for the inexperienced. But it was fun. You have to pick your turns carefully on a narrow strip of snow.
kwillg6
February 27, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,070 posts
I think this was discussed before, sometime, somewhere. There used to be a time prior to large corporate ownership in the late 80s when they would open Cupp only on Saturdays and Sundays in April and charge a $10 lift. Guess those days are gone for good. I think if a ski area were to do something like that, they would get enough business to cover their costs of opreration and advertisement.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.