Timberline or Snowshoe
13 posts
7 users
1k+ views
rmcva
April 2, 2004
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Which do you think will be the best bet for Saturday, T-Line or SS? I see T-Line may have near 18" but haven't seen anything updated recently on SS. Looks like a nice April weekend!
bawalker
April 2, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
No competition, all reports are showing T-Line getting the brunt of this clipper. SnowShoe might be just a tad too far south for this one.
rmcva
April 2, 2004
187 posts
Thanks. I think I'll head to T-Line in the morning.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Well for my money it is Snowshoe. More liftes, more trails open, colder, more chance weekend rain will be snow. And most importantly, Snowshoe was not planning a really big weekend, so the crowds should be more reasonable that T-Line and their big weekend.
andy
April 3, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Mr bawalker,beech mtn way to the south has recieved 12" so it is not a north,south storm its just the way the feeder bands of snow have been wrapping around the stalled out low thats been sitting on top of the dc area.with the west va bands coming in from the NE the northern most 4000'+ mtns have been sucking the most moisture out of them.The CLIPPER will be arriving late sat nite into sunday.This will make the skiers on sun morn forget about global warming!More power to all you norsky's that made it to highlands this w-end...can't wait for the reports
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
April 3, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
I slept a little later than I had hoped. It's 5:30 AM, but I am still heading up.

I think Timberline is everyone's best bet because Western Territory is not opening today--just checked Snowshoe's report. That means more vertical and challenge at Timberline. Also, heavy snow means that T-line will have a lot of gladed terrain open. I am usually biased in favor of Snowshoe because of its better lifts and snowmaking. This weekend is the exception.
Roger Z
April 3, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Well.. the Cherry Blossom festival is in DC this weekend and 16 inches of freshies are in the local highlands. [Cool] It almost feels like we're living out west these days! Even NC got in on the action according to Andy. BTW Andy Snowshoe is now over it's average snowfall for the year, as is CV (which has been for a while now)... Snowshoe should be coming in above 190 inches at this point and CV is at 183 (at that weather station Whitegrass records from-- 3700 feet above sea level in Canaan Heights, most likely). That makes two good winters in a row! This one was less consistent than last year but last year was a dream scenario.

Overheard at DC Ski Happy Hour two weeks ago: "I never remember spring getting this warm this quickly. When I was a kid, it used to stay cold and snowy here in DC almost to Easter." Overheard on the train coming home yesterday: "I never remember it being this cold in spring. It just seems like March keeps getting colder and colder every year." Probably heard at Whitegrass today: "YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HHHHHHHAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!" You be the judge. [Smile]
andy
April 3, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
how many times have you heard how much deeper the snows were in the old days?I guess so..10"'s looks huge to a 25" kid!!
andy
April 3, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Just sneaked away from my wife(slave labor around the house)to see what kind of weather the diehard norsky's are having at the slopes...This artic front clipper is even stronger than predicted..possibly up to 9"'s by mon morn up in canaan!! Blowing & drifting snow & the whole 9 yards! Both WV ski areas could stay open easily till the 11th of april.Anybody up for some SPRING camping up at mount porte crayon?Whitegrass didn't report the last 2 to 3"'s last nite Z man so add that to the totals.We are talkin maybe 190" season total for canaan by then.Bet the top of MPC will finish the season with about 235" with last year at least 250" We are talkin BIG TIME Beech mtn,nc has topped out so far at about 105"'s with thier ave bieng 70. good winter.
vesty
April 4, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
48 posts
I drove up to Timberline early Saturday morning (3am) and it was like a winter wonderland postcard. 5 minutes after I crossed the WVa line it started to snow. Road conditions were good. The day was absolutely perfect except for a thick fog at the top. The fog finally lifted later in the afternoon. All in all, a great last day at Timberline!
andy
April 4, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
What did you do vesty,get out of dodge before the BLIZZARD? 23 & snowing & blowin hard at 1030am!3"'s by 7am. The diehards & the WV mtns are having one hell of a grand finale!!
vesty
April 4, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
48 posts
WOW! Sounds like luck was with me as I am a teacher and I absolutely have to be back at school on Monday. It would have been a great reason to play hookey...
rmcva
April 5, 2004
187 posts
I drove out to T-Line yesterday and had a great time. I got there about 8:25 and was one of the first to arrive, also one of the last to leave. There were some flurries until mid morning and then lots of fog. The fog cleared in the afternoon and basically gave a great final last ski weekend. Grooming was done on their normal tails and there was powder everywhere. Even though the snow was great, very few people were there. No wonder the resorts close and then everyone starts asking why. Lift lines could not be found - no lines all day! Bad for the resort - great for the few of us that was fortunate enough to make it out. Best April skiing I've had in a long time and a nice way to end my season. Just hate to think how long before we have this chance again - locally.

During one of my lengthy rides to the top, I also found out the person I was talking with was another DSSki member. It was nice putting a face to a name.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.