3 posts
1 user
1k+ views
Eug
February 20, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Rock Climbing = Low Carbon Footprint

Ok, now that I have your attention, let me see if I can interest you in something new.

I am actively involved in fund raising for Ovarian Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins University. During the month of March there is a major drive in the Washington DC area and it is based on (indoor) rock climbing.

If any of you (family, coworkers, friends, neighbors, etc) has ever been interested in trying rock climbing, March is the month to do it.

For a low registration (donation) of $30 you get the following:

1- A punch card with 12 entry passes to the local climbing gyms. 6 passes total for Sportrock in Sterling and Alexandria. 6 passes total for Earth Treks in Rockville, Columbia and Timonium. If you don't belong to a gym one entrance fee is approx $16. The first of day of the event the punch card is not punched so you get an additional entry pass. This along is well worth the $30 registration

2- A goodie bag with one climbing related item and assorted goodies. The item in the goodie bags in the last several years have included a chalk bag, a Petzl locking biner and a Sigg aluminum water bottle.

3- Free climbing clinics with world famous climbing pros at the opening and closing days of the event, Feb 28th and March 28th. This include belay and knot tying classes, movement on the wall, how to climb better, etc.

4- Raffles throughout the day during the opening and closing days. Shirts, chalk bags, shorts, books, etc, etc

5- If you raised over $150, you will be eligible for the big raffle where you could win ropes, backpacks, harnesses, headlights, climbing hardware, etc

6- If you climb the most routes during this month in your category (beginner, intermediate or advance) you win a prize. In the past several years the prize has been a Black Diamond harness. Who knows what it will be this year...

7- Great food at the beginning and closing day events. At the closing day, a local brewery donates a great microbrew keg.

8- Mathematically this deal is a no brainer. If somebody wants to climb or try climbing for the first time this is the time to do it.

As a fundraiser, you can't ask for a better cause. You will be supporting Ovarian Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins and continuing the great legacy of Sean Patrick, founder of HERA.

Some facts about Ovarian Cancer:

1- Ovarian cancer is a serious and under-recognized threat to women's health

2- Ovarian cancer is very treatable when caught early; the vast majority of cases are not diagnosed until too late

3- Ovarian cancer is difficult to diagnose

The first day events starts next Saturday Feb 28. You don't have to raise money if you don't want to and it is not a competition.

If anybody is interested or if you would like to make a donation or any questions, please PM me. All donations are tax deductible.

Info on Climb4Life HERA:

http://www.herafoundation.org/about.cfm
Eug
February 20, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
I forgot to mention that rock climbing is an excellent workout. It is full body conditioning covering arms, shoulders, core muscles and legs.

It is a great cross training option during your non-ski days.
Eug
February 24, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
No interest?

Is there anybody that would like to try something new and make a contribution towards Ovarian Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins via this Climb4Life event?

I'll keep my (chili) footprint small...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.