T-Line Telemark Clinic
15 posts
7 users
4k+ views
TomH
February 19, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Timberline is having a Telemark Clinic on Saturday February 28th. Includes full day clinic and party afterwards. On Sunday they are having a race and other activities. Should be fun. For more information visit the Timberline site where they have all the details. I plan on participating, anyone else?
jimmy
February 19, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tom I'm leaving on a Jet plane that day. The February clinic sounds like it'll be the best of the year. Have Fun.
TomH
February 19, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
You going skiing? Where?
TGV
February 22, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
How to Get Ready?
Is your computer still plugged into the wall jack?
Sit down, brace yourself, grab the plug, PULL hard, and run to the slopes.

A clinic ?
Hummm. Check it out, it's really much more like 2 days of extreme fun, aka The Telemark Festival.

Cheers everyone: we are being dumped on with snow, and even more is planned on the forecast for Monday.

For those interested in the clinic, our Telemark Department will be ready. As usual, I'll be there with the camera for movement analysis.
jimmy
February 26, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
UT.
TGV
February 27, 2009
337 posts
Plenty of snow, and a little more on the way.
Camera is ready and charged.
Let's get some good rest and see you Sat and Sun at the resort.
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
February 28, 2009
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts
Work rears its ugly head again, crushing my telemark dreams to dust. Oh well, just picked up the BD flicklock poles on Tramdock, so if I ever do get out there I'll at least have the right tools.
TGV
March 4, 2009
337 posts
Tom: Thanks for attending.
Sorry I couldn't spend more time with you guys - I had to renew my PSIA stuff. I don't think I have ever skied with so many level III's!

Geeeesss - they gave me a workout - but I had a super great time.

Thanks again for showing up and BTW: your photos have just been posted.
MichaelME
March 4, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
Great job on the photos, really captured the various styles/tech. and obviously the joy of the tele turn. Haven't made it to Tline in a few years, is the tele community that large up there? From the photos, a lot of those folks have been enjoying the free heel exp. for a while, looking sweet. Other then the snow day Monday, seldom see more then a couple of tele's at WGrn or SS, and more often then not they're employees. Have to add, the WGrn folks, esp. the instr. staff/dir are incredibly supportive of tele, now if the management would take their lead and acquire a few basic sets of gear.

Another observation, where are the younger telerippers? Got a couple of teens I'd like to get to exp. the joy and freedom of tele. but they don't want to ski with dad. A few photos/vids would be sweet. Got 'em interested by trying to convey the more mellow, laid back, helpful mentality of most tele folks. They're more apt to here "nice turns" as the first comments out of another tele they meet, as opposed to.... well you know what I mean. More smiles, less scrutiny.

Gotta get up there, could use a clinic

Thanks again, Rise up
TomH
March 4, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Vic,

Photos are great. Very instructional. Nice to juxtopose Darryl, Shelley, and Seans form with my own. Really shows me what I need to work on. Thanks again. Hope to see you next weekend.

Tom
RodSmith
March 4, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Off-piste clinic for credit? I wish you had mentioned that, I would have been there. My fault though for not knowing that was happening. Was there any off-piste skiing available? Tom which one are you?
crunchy
March 4, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: RodSmith
Was there any off-piste skiing available?

yep and there still is. maybe not AT tline, but real close. but they have no idea of course. a one-run lift tickey for $6 at canaan ski area will take you right to it. on the north facing backcountry area off weiss knob its amazing how much natural snow is up there, and more amazing less than a handful of people bother to ski it. backcountry glade skiing in natural snow with a base this past week in canaan you ask? ... yeah baby!
RodSmith
March 4, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Crunchy, I was asking about last weekend's clinic, but if you give me a ride out there, I'll ski with you.
TomH
March 5, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Rod,

I wasn't aware that Darryl was running a PSIA Tele clinic the same weekend as the Timberline Tele Clinic. Unfortunately, they didn't have any available off piste snow so they were on the slopes at T-Line. I participated in the Timberline Clinic. My pics are in the TeleFestival Part II folder on page 4 on Vics web page.
TGV
March 6, 2009
337 posts
Those are very good observations made by Michael. I will merely attempt to point out a few things i have noticed at Timberline.
1. It's one of the few schools in the US to allow PSIA instructors to teach alpine skiing using telemark gear. Thus, we can move quickly, less tiring, and really get up close and personal with the "first time ever skiers" - as an example.

2. In essence, we have a lot more instructors that are not afraid to show up with tele gear. That's a big plus, considering the vast number of patrols on Tele gear that we already have.

3. Excellent EXCELLENT point about the youngsters. I have seen 2 (yes, just TWO) taking a tele clinic this year. That's just not enough. There is a 3rd little fellow who totally rips the slopes with jumps, and the like - on tele of course, but he didn't "need" a tele class. SMILE

4. I too would love to see more videos of the tele versatility. I have to get in line though with this idea, because I am waiting for 4 other videos that may need to come first LOL

Bottom line, on any given day, I'd say it's fair to say that we have at least 15 people on tele - before customers arrive. This year, I am definitely seeing more "customers" on tele, which is a huge welcome!

So, Michael... come on down with your gear.

Tom... ready for some excellent spring skiing? I have re-mounted my skis...for the 4th time ahahahaha
(stay behind and look for glue, screws, or anything else I might loose on the way down).

Too much work, not enough skiing. Something's got to give: food, ski, sleep, work... decisions, decisions!?!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?