Blue Knob worth a trip in mid march?
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
ronfraz
February 18, 2009
Member since 02/18/2009 🔗
4 posts
Some friends and I are planning a 3 day weekend ski trip to blue knob 3/13 - 3/15. But none of us has ever been there before and I'm wondering if there is typically decent skiing there that late in the season. Anyone have any experience there in mid march?
Eug
February 18, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Well, we are planning on going the weekend before you. So, we are hoping that conditions at least hold up or get better.

Last time we were there was during Obama weekend (1/16) and it was great and super cold. We had fresh, dry powder every day during that weekend. I finally was able to experience that floating feeling.
ronfraz
February 18, 2009
4 posts
Thanks for the reply Eug, all of the recent comments and reviews I could find are for February. Haven't been able to find much about March. Lets hope conditions hold up for both our trips!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
It all depends on the weather. I've skied BK into April with all snowmaking trails open, even some natural trails too and I've seen them close in mid-March due to lack of snow. I would suspect that most places stop making snow in March and rely on natural snow fall and skier demand to determine the end date.

For condition at Blue Knob see the Blue Knob GTG thread.
JamieGrose79
February 19, 2009
Member since 01/10/2009 🔗
108 posts
Usually Blue Knob has great skiing in March as long as the weather is cold during the evenings. Most of these resorts could stay open until mid April if it weren't for the fact that people cut out from skiing early because it is getting warm and their kids sports etc. takes over.
I am hoping that this year will be a great one for your trip and for my own reasons as well. Usually around that time in March my wife calls my friends and they have a unspoken suicide watch for me and my manic skiing depression or MSD as some would call it.
Long and short is that you should be ok as they usually have at least a few good runs up even when they are melting. Blue Knob is famous for keeping their slopes open a bit longer then they probably should. It can be a gamble, but I think the dates you have will be fine. I can't promise packed powder or granular, it might be a bit slushy and cruddy. But since when did that stop an east coast skier jonesing for a fix?
So Crank out with your planks out in March. See you there hopefully!
ronfraz
February 20, 2009
4 posts
Thanks so much for the helpful replies! I think we're gonna take the plunge and head up that weekend. Maybe we'll see some of you there!

Cheers

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?