Trails and Conditions at The Homestead this Year?
4 posts
4 users
5k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 16, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
781 posts
One of these years -- this year, I hope -- I'd like to drop by The Homestead and ski for a day. (Yes, I know it's primarily an overnight destination with 'way more than skiing but my ski budget can handle only the ski ticket right now.) JimK's firsthand report from 2005 provides a very helpful overview.

Can anyone report on their conditions, snowmaking and trails this year?

Unfortunately, The Homestead's website and recorded ski report provide little information. The numbers in the snow report don't seem to add up or tell much:
* 2 of 9 trails open. Which ones? Do the others ever open?
* 75% of terrain open. All right, I guess that means the major runs are the ones that are open.
* 2 of 5 lifts open. Hmm...I didn't know they had that many but OK.
* 45 of 45 acres open. An Error Has Occurred. This Window Will Close Now. Do You Want to Send an Error Report?

Also, are the trails to skier's right (e.g., Goat) closed permanently?

Thanks,
Woody
scootertig
February 16, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Funny you should ask... I am planning to post a quick TR on this very thing later today!

When I called before heading down there on Friday, I was told (by the lady on the phone) that "all of the trails were open!". Definitely not true. Maybe 2 trails, depending on how you count them, and really just one. Sort of a springtime WROD.

The 5 lifts probably count the beginner's tow rope, the other surface lift for the lower half of the main run, the tubing lift and the double chair. I'm missing one, but it's probably something similar.

I think I heard that Goat, in particular, was closed to make room for tubing, but I'm not sure if that's true (and I can't remember where I heard it).

We had a good time, but I wouldn't pay $45 for the weekday (or $55 for the weekend) ticket. Our tickets were "free" with our stay (as was the breakfast buffet). We had a nice time there, but the only reason I could sort of justify the cost was that it was a unique Valentine's Day gift. There are great deals to be had, including their "ski free" deal, but unless you live within about 20 minutes, the skiing would not be worth the trip.

aaron
zmre2b
March 3, 2010
Member since 03/8/2006 🔗
5 posts
I just realized the above msg was from last season. But things have got to be better this season? Anyone there recently?

Murphy
March 3, 2010
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
This isn't exactly a ski report but the Roanoke paper ran this article about 10 days ago: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/237426

There are a few pics of the slopes in the attached gallery.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?