CV or Timberline for 2/14?
17 posts
10 users
4k+ views
Alpine Hokie
February 12, 2009
Member since 01/30/2009 🔗
14 posts
Heading back to the valley this weekend, but we can only ski Saturday. Any thoughts on what the conditions will be like?

I prefer Timberline, but since we can only ski on Saturday, would CV make more sense (fewer people, more lift capacity)?

Edit - it appears the forecast for Saturday is even more dicey than it was a couple of hours ago.
David
February 12, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
It's hard to tell what the conditions are CV are going to be like. I venture to say that there will be alot of brown. Timberline would definitely be the safest choice. Don't take me to the bank on this either, but with the weather the way it has been I look for this weekend to be less crowded than a normal Prez weekend. Again, that's just my guess....
jimboc
February 12, 2009
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
CV has lost about 1/2 of there trail count
TomH
February 12, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
TL will definitely have better conditions. Crowds have not been any kind of real issue at TL this winter.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
liftopia.com is offering CV tics on 2/16 for $24
fishnski
February 12, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Nobody knows what the weather will do Sat..& anybody that says they know, really don't know...unless they REALLY know...thats something I don't Know about!.....I do Know that no one will get Snowed in at TL/CV on Sat..(Maybe that will work wink..)

Since I've not seen any temps that would spell Snow for a few days up there during the day Saturday the best I think anyone could hope for is for the rain to hold off till later on in the day or slide south of the region.Temps are borderline so snow lovers might see some wet flakes mixed in..like I said..who knows?.. Every 6 hours the weather tech gods change up crazy
fishnski
February 12, 2009
3,530 posts
Sun Morns 1st few runs could be Sweet because any moisture that is available will be snow sat nite...looking for some bigger fish to fry down the road..Stay tuned!
kwillg6
February 13, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Hey Hokie, if I were you I'd do t-line. CV has not made a real commitment to snow making so a lot of their trails are natural snow only. Last week it would've been good, but since the nat snow went south, there terrain will be limited.
fishnski
February 13, 2009
3,530 posts
its 24 up in the valley this morn & will be colder tonite...will TL/CV make Snow?...I know that they don't like to make snow this late in season.
kwillg6
February 13, 2009
2,066 posts
You can expect t-line to put the guns back on WL. Probably fill up the sticks a few more days on the drop too. After that it'll just be a few spots if necessairy. They usually bring the guns off the mountain in early March.
Alpine Hokie
February 13, 2009
14 posts
Thanks for all the great input, everyone! My posse and I decided to hold off. Based on the responses, Timberline is the obvious choice should we have decided to go.

The good thing is that my friend and I will be able to attend the Hokies-Terps game in College Park. That doesn't stop the angst of not being able to get in some turns this weekend, but it helps smile

Next weekend I'll be skiing Wisp (20-22). Haven't been before - anything I should know?
Frank Rodriguez
February 16, 2009
Member since 02/16/2009 🔗
1 posts
I went out to Canaan this past weekend with the intent of skiing CV one day and Timberline the other. As we approached the two mountains heading south down 32 (we partially followed google's directions this time) CV looked half bare. My last trip to CV was one of my most enjoyable times skiing this side of the Rockies, but with the over half of the blue and black runs closed and no natural snow, it just wasn't worth the time.

We headed to Timberline which had all of its trails open, and the conditions were primarily slushy. We met another skier on the lift who told us that the thaw had caused them to lose around 3 feet from their base.
David
February 16, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Hokie (I think that is who started this thread),

I lied to you about Tline being crowded on Saturday. It ended up being by far the busiest day of the year. People everywhere!! I sure am glad I was skipping to the front of the line all day!! grin

Originally Posted By: Frank Rodriguez
We met another skier on the lift who told us that the thaw had caused them to lose around 3 feet from their base.

That's a little much. Pretty much everything in the woods was lost, but definitely not 3 feet of base. That person was full of sumpin'.....
Murphy
February 16, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Originally Posted By: Alpine Hokie

The good thing is that my friend and I will be able to attend the Hokies-Terps game in College Park. That doesn't stop the angst of not being able to get in some turns this weekend, but it helps smile

So much for the game being a consolation prize. They looked horrible!
kwillg6
February 17, 2009
2,066 posts
They didn't lose 3'. And with the 4 to 6" of freshies early Monday morning the surface was "primo." Everybody left in the morning and we had the place ALL to ourselves. It was worth sticking around. grin
Alpine Hokie
February 17, 2009
14 posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy
Originally Posted By: Alpine Hokie

So much for the game being a consolation prize. They looked horrible!

Tell me about it! What an embarrassing performance.
SteveC
February 17, 2009
Member since 10/24/2005 🔗
145 posts
skied T-line on Sunday and thought the conditions were pretty good. OTW got fairly scrapped off by noon but was better then the Drop which seemed scrapped off already at first run. WL had nice coverage but my favorite was Upper Thunderstruck. The first part was scrappy but after it joined up with Upper Thunderdraft, there was lots of soft on skiers right!!

It was my first time there in 5 years (on that trip, all I could really do was Salamander). Sort of a 5-years of skiing anniverary. To make it even better, my 13 year old son did the whole mountain too (we started together).

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?