Question for Weather Buffs
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
TomH
February 11, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
So if I go to Accuweather (or NOAA) and punch in Davis, WV is the forecast really for Davis or is it for Elkins or some other lower altitude location?
fishnski
February 11, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I think that they have caught up & adjusted for elevation at least for the davis/canaan f-cast..there would be some tweeking here & there I'm sure (down if anything). I wouldn't trust the snow amount f-casts yet though.
David
February 11, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
I think that they have caught up & adjusted for elevation at least for the davis/canaan f-cast..there would be some tweeking here & there I'm sure (down if anything). I wouldn't trust the snow amount f-casts yet though.

So you consider yourself a weather buff now huh??
jonjon1
February 11, 2009
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
Yeah, all the weather forecasts are supposedly correct for the areas you put in.

For here, I like NOAA (more than Accuweather or Weather.com) and I put in Davis, then Snowshoe, then Bayard -- so I can get the forecasts from three different weather offices for the same general area (Pittsburgh does Davis, Charleston does Snowshoe/Elkins, and Washington does Bayard). Pittsburgh's office is usually the worst and Charleston seems to be the best, especially with upslope snow events.
fishnski
February 11, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I've been doing the WV triangular for a while now as well Jonjon & agree that Pittsburgh is the worst!

Yeh David.. Fishski in the buff baby cool....wait a minute.. you callin me a buffoon mad??!
skier219
February 11, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Accuweather and the other commercial sites are hit or miss as to where they are forecasting for, but if you use the NWS web page, it will give you a point forecast by latitude and longitude, over a grid with about 5km nominal spacing (so that will be fairly local and may even be on the mountain depending on how the grid is clustered). You can even tweak the point on the map. For instance, here's the forecast for Weiss Knob (Whitegrass):

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...nit=0&lg=en

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?