Helmet cam video from Snowshoe 2/3/09
13 posts
8 users
3k+ views
skier219
February 4, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Here's a vid of a great run down skier's right of Widowmaker (under the lift line) on Tuesday, after the big snowfall. It was starting to get tracked out by mid morning, but still plenty of powder to be found (and I like skiing heavy crud, so that was almost as good as the pow).

http://vimeo.com/3086479

(you can stop watching past about 2:30 unless you like lift rides)

Snow amounts are misleading in the videos, as my skis were floating at speed, but informally I would say it was shin deep overall, maybe more in isolated spots.

This area of Widowmaker is not groomed or covered by snowmaking, so the terrain is great. Ditches, waterbars, drops, bumps, rocks, you name it. I skied it about a zillion times the day before when there was much less snow on the ground, tearing through there on my short 177cm skis, and it was a blast. Easily the most fun I have had in recent weeks, east or west. The next day when the powder showed up, I had to adapt my style for long/wide skis, which meant going over stuff I had turned through the previous day. Those previous day runs paid off big time, as I knew where most of the obstacles, holes, etc were.

In general the other trails off the Soaring Eagle lift were rife with powder. Camp 99 had the most of all, and it was deep. Sawmill started out OK, but got skied off rather quick. Sawmill glades were also decent (I have a vid of that to post at some point) but suffered from a scratchy underlayer that took some fun out of the powder.

I'll post more vids here as I go through them.
GRK
February 4, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
What was that on the trail at about 53 seconds? A gremlin? Or was it an optical illusion?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Skier219,
Great video. You obviously keep your head and upper body facing down the hill vice turning from side to side. I was at Snowshoe with my extended family from Jan 16-21. Great conditions, really really cold though. First time I have skied the new trails off Soaring Eagle lift, wonderful paths down.
As for the "gremlin" that appears at about the 58 second mark, looks to be Was wife with you at Snowshoe?
a falling slider.
Heading for Steamboat Springs in early morning. Think the weather will be similar to what you experienced in Alta, but with a bit more falling snow. Always wanted to hit Steamboat Springs and this is their Winter Carnival weekend. Apparently the town stores snow and then fills up the main street about a foot deep for a number of races on Saturday, lots of them with skiers pulled behind horses. Should be interesting. Will post TR and pictures/video on my return.
The Colonel smile
skier219
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah, that was someone self-destructing and taking a spill at around 53 seconds. Thought that was kind of funny to see on the video. A lot of people there had no idea how to ski powder or crud, or even how to use common sense to ski safely and in control.

Speaking of cold, it was -5F when I started skiing this morning, got up to about 8F when I quit.

My wife did come along, and had a great time. She skied really well. She was a bit tentative about trying her new K2 Tru Luv skis (Christmas gift), but by the end of the first day on them, she was singing the praises of the wider design in crud (compared to her Blizzards). Which was cool, and exactly the kind of feedback (minus the tech-terminology) I'd hoped I'd hear. So she now officially has a quiver.

Have a good trip Morgan!
kwillg6
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Schweet video! I'm so jealous that you has so many freshies. I'm gonna do a mid week thing sometime later this season but will work it around a pow-pow dump. The sensation of floating down a mountain in deep, soft pow, as you take face shot after face shot is almost as good as.... smile grin smile grin
skier219
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yeah Kim, and it was nice powder too -- very fluffy and dry. Nice to score some close to home!

Here are a couple more vids:

Run down Sawmill with a brief jaunt through the glades:

http://vimeo.com/3096654

Because the glades are among spruce trees, not as much snow made it down to the ground and it was a bit scratchy in there. Could use another dump's worth of cover.

Here's a run down Upper Shay's and lower Cupp:

http://vimeo.com/3096234
David
February 5, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Awesome! Especially the lady with the North Carolina accent: "You mind if I share your ride??". smile
Tick
February 5, 2009
Member since 05/27/2005 🔗
41 posts
O.k. gotta know: what kind of helmet camera do you have? I have a VHoldR, but I don't seem to get as clear a shot as you have.
skier219
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I have the VIO POV.1. I tried a couple of helmet cams, and this was by far the best one (and the most expensive, unfortunately). The image quality is good, but what I really like is the excellent cold-weather battery life. I can let it run for a full 7-8 hour ski day and still have 1/3 to 1/2 charge at the end of the day.
crunchy
February 5, 2009
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
hey dude i got 2 questions about that thing too. how long before it fills up the memory card? would love one especially for mountain biking. looks really stable too! afraid if i got one i would use it for a bit then get tired of it....anyone interested in buying a used one in 6 months possibly? smile
comprex
February 5, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Those 84s or 94s?
skier219
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
94s
skier219
February 5, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Originally Posted By: crunchy
hey dude i got 2 questions about that thing too. how long before it fills up the memory card?

I got an 8GB card, which holds about 5.6 hours of video at the highest resolution (720x480). I have been shooting at 720x480, but vimeo knocks it down to 500x333 or so. The camera supports lower resolution recording, which scales the capacity up accordingly.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?