3 users
1k+ views
KevR
January 31, 2009
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Snow - dry with some minor "scrape off", some loose powdery areas
Crowds - large but manageable
Moguls - Ramrod, Gunbarrel, lower Gunbarrel, mid-skiers-right Fanny Hill (beginner)

Overall: it don't get any better really. I hope the 2 day warmup is quickly forgotten.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 6, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Thanks for report. Might get up there one night this weekend to check out the moguls - provided they didn't groom them all away. They should be soft given forecast for 50 deg temps.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 8, 2009
2,964 posts
I went to Roundtop last night Sat, 2/7. One of the more enjoyable night ski sessions (5-10pm, $36) I've had in many years. Course I only night ski once or twice a season. Everything open. Crowds not bad, esp over by Gunbarrel and Ramrod. They had a great base, it was kind of over baked when we first started due to warm day, but then got real nice as night went on. Faster, carvable, nice soft bumps on several trails. Gunbarrel was the best bump run, up high and down low. I think the short part at top might be the steepest piece of terrain at any Snowtime resort?? My son kicked my butt in the bumps. Skied in fleece/hoodies, lot different than the usual early Feb night ski on harrd pack and 20 degree temps. Several nice and very active parks, saw a kid do a flip off one jump. In the old days only people named Stein did that?!? Skied on three different pairs of skis during the night, Stockli 168cm, RX8 175cm, and an old pair of 1996 Heads 170cm that were actually the best in bumps, had little shape and were soft/flexible.
Hadn't been to Roundtop in 6 or 7 years. Went to new tubing park by mistake at first, found out they don't sell lift tics there. It's amazing that tubing must draw about 30-40% of their business now, has it's own lodge, parking lot and a real long covered magic carpet. Remember this trip report: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1171&mode=headlines

"Let it roll baby roll, the future's uncertain and the end is always near"
RodSmith
February 8, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Nights skiing when the air stays warm and the snow stays soft are rare and wonderful. They feel like summer, except you are skiing. Can you still see the faint green glow emanating from Three Mile Island?

Upper Gunbarrel is the steepest pitch at a Snow Time resort, no doubt.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 8, 2009
2,964 posts
Way to get after The Tail. Spring conditions when they come directly after prime winter conditions are pretty sweet.

I tried to point out three mile island to my son while it was still daylight, but I wasn't positive exactly where it was. The sparkle of lights from urbanized Harrisburg, PA makes night skiing at Roundtop very pretty.
I once read that Grouse Mtn ski area near Vancouver has the prettiest night skiing views in the world because of the city lights directly below. I think if I ever made it to Whistler I might want to check it out coming or going.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.