How's Whitetail for the weekend?
11 posts
8 users
2k+ views
scootertig
January 30, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Any soft snow? Might head there tomorrow night, but it's not worth it if conditions are still sketchy, since I'll have to skip out on some other stuff to make it happen.

Any recent intel?

aaron
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Aaron, three friends and I had a great time at WT today (Friday) in the afternoon...but, then, any day spent skiing is great.

Trails had been groomed to mix the ice left over from the midweek warm spell with recently made snow. IIRC, the surface was advertised as packed powder and loose granular. Not much in the way of true "fluffy stuff". The day's skiing packed down the granular and exposed scattered icy areas by the time we left around 5:00 p.m. Most runs finished up scratchy but certainly skiable.

Enjoy the season,
Woody
gtop
January 31, 2009
Member since 11/5/2008 🔗
34 posts
Went tonight (Friday) with my daughter. Loose granular with lots of icy areas. The most ice we've seen all season.
wojo
January 31, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Friday report - BIG ICE PATCH on Upper Angle (what's new). Most skiable run was Extrovert followed by Limelight. I found very little "snow," skied on lots of chopped up ice, but agree with bousquet19.

No bumps anywhere except skiers left on Snow park below the 1/2 pipe. They are/where blowing early morning by the web cam.

Park was great, with a few jumps being worked on that I wanted to try. I found very little "snow," skied on lots of chopped up ice, but agree with bousquet19.

It was a good day.
therusty
January 31, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
What a difference a day makes. There was some wonderful snow to be found at Whitetail today. Far Side was a real treat. We also had our biggest attendance of the year. crazy
scootertig
February 1, 2009
365 posts
I'd agree with Rusty. Far Side was AMAZING. I couldn't get enough of those soft bumps.

It's kind of a good news/bad news thing that that most of the intermediate terrain was a mess. Good news was, we didn't have to stay over there. Bad news was, we couldn't take advantage of the HS quad. That ice on Angel Drop was pretty gnarly...

aaron
comprex
February 1, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Am I the only one here that hearts teh ices?
scootertig
February 1, 2009
365 posts
When you say "ice", do you mean "eastern hardpack", or actual ICE, of the clear ice cube sort?

Or do you perceive them in the same fashion?

aaron
Roger Z
February 1, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I loved ice back east Comprex, but now that I ski 95% of the time in the Rockies I don't particularly miss it, either. smile
comprex
February 1, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: scootertig
When you say "ice", do you mean "eastern hardpack", or actual ICE, of the clear ice cube sort?

aaron

I hearts teh hardpax, east or west (had some FINE HP in Tahoe at NYE last year and the freezescrape on Angel Drop is just ... fun).

I hearts teh cubez, so yummy in teh drinkz.

RodSmith
February 5, 2009
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Originally Posted By: comprex
Originally Posted By: scootertig

aaron

I hearts teh hardpax, east or west (had some FINE HP in Tahoe at NYE last year and the freezescrape on Angel Drop is just ... fun).

I hearts teh cubez, so yummy in teh drinkz.

So I guess you won't be going up this weekend?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.