Mont Sainte Anne - Been There??
7 posts
5 users
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Have any of you been to Mont Sainte Anne and could provide your opinion as to where to stay. How about the skiing?
Have anyone stayed at the slope side hotel, Chateau Mont Saint Anne? If so, what did you think of it?
Thanks
comprex
January 30, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Yes. Skiing is excellent, a bit on the chilly side. Less fresh snow than you'd think, but it is all very high quality. Bumpers and speeders should have a LOT of fun. A day trip to Le Massif is almost required.

Always stayed at the Club Vacances 4 Saisons, sorry.

Top tip for MSA: Use cold wax and do NOT order any "Chinese" food. Ugh. DO enjoy the local cheeses and cafe-au-lait.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 30, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Not familiar with Chateau Mont Saint Anne. Did you see the reports below by my son and I? I would classify MSA as a great ski mtn next to a very cool town (Quebec City). I would classify Le Massif (only 20 miles from MSA) as an unforgettable, magical ski mountain. Would be kind of a shame to go all that way and not do both.

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1145&mode=search

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1123&mode=headlines
MichaelME
January 30, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
Wow, what fantastic reports. Same trip from two very different perspectives. Compliment each other very well. If you haven't already, you mighht want to consider sending to the resorts along with the Chamber of commerce. Who knows, they might want you back this spring for a follow-up.

Funny thing, I lived the same travel time as it is from here to CV/SS and never considered a winter trip for skiing. Now, if you want to participate in something really spectacular, check out the Quebec Winter Carnival. Ottawa and Montreal are amazing in their own right winter or summer also. I find no matter where you go in Canada's eastern province, PEI, Nova Scotia, Quebec, or Ontario the people are generally warm,welcoming and sincere.

Thanks for reposting, I know where to look now.

Any chance your wife wrote a report? Now that would cover everyons's bases.
MichaelME
January 30, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
Another thought.

If anyone is headed that way and you can swing an extra day, Jay Peak in extreme northern Vermont shouldn't be missed. Especially if you enjoy steep,deep, no crowds. Has plenty of blues also. I think it averages around 350"/yr. They don't get antsy to groom after a big dump, which is often, for those that enjoy that sort of thing. Also plenty of ops to duck the ropes, there aren't many ropes, for BC. Just know where your headed and don't go alone, you could be out there for awhile. They leave plenty for those that enjoy the ungroomed. Plan ahead though, not much around for apres ski or lodging for that matter. Kind of out in the middle of wilderness and laid back-rustic probably describes it pretty well, but your going for the snow right.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I like Jay, although it is often bitterly cold and windy. Lifts are often on windhold. Sutton, just over the border in Quebec, is a real gem. It is well sheltered from the wind, holds powder well, and has great glades. All of the "eastern township" areas are very good and cheap. The B&Bs (Auberges) are wonderful.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 30, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Thanks for the comments Michael. That was my first time skiing in Canada. Really enjoyed it, took me 54 years to get there crazy

Snowsmith, did you see this thread on epicski: http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/79013/mont-ste-anne-le-massif-lodging-dining-etc

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.