Apropos of Nothing
16 posts
10 users
3k+ views
Roger Z
January 29, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
This has nothing to do with skiing, it's my 2,000th post, so I wanted to celebrate being the geekiest person on DCSki to-date (apart from Scott, of course wink ) as is demonstrated by the fact that I've posted 2,000 times here by creating a new folder for said 2,000th post.

In the future, I hope to continue to post less, and post more wisely when I do, and basically let someone else catch up with me because this should be a proud moment but instead I find myself drinking a beer thinking "is this the best you can do in your free time Rog???" Such is life sometimes.

Happy skiing to all, may the rest of the winter be cool and powdery!
skier219
January 29, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Congratulations! Now go do something useful.... wink
Steve
January 29, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
Originally Posted By: Roger Z
I find myself drinking a beer thinking "is this the best you can do in your free time Rog???"

Roger, you could have a worse legacy than sharing your insights with other people that share the same passion that you do. OTH, maybe it's time to move out of Kansas.

Here's (raises his beer) to #3000!

Steve
scootertig
January 29, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
The real question is, what was the beer? Something from Boulevard? I want to find their Smokestack beers, but oddly, I only find them in San Diego (and not here, closer to KC).

I was born in Kansas, and have a lot of family there...

Congrats on the post milestone. We'll all aspire to make you feel less geeky.

aaron
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roger Z
January 29, 2009
2,181 posts
Quote:
what was the beer? Something from Boulevard?

Dundee Festive Ale out of Rochester. It was on sale after Christmas, I couldn't pass it up.

Quote:
Something from Boulevard? I want to find their Smokestack beers, but oddly, I only find them in San Diego (and not here, closer to KC).

Oh my gosh does Boulevard make good beers. Their brewery is about 2 miles from my house, on Southwest Boulevard, near some of my favorite restaurants in the Hispanic District. Their smokestacks are real nice, I keep having to drink them alone though, boy does that get you buzzed. laugh I am very happy to know that you can find them in San Diego, I think Boulevard expanding beyond the region would be a nice addition to the American beer repetoire (and certainly better than that filth that the OTHER city in Missouri has to offer wink ).

Thanks for the congrats, it's time to move further west I guess, cheers! smile
fishnski
January 30, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Dang Z..I new you were getting up there & feel a little bad that I or another poster gave a heads up to the fact. Anyway your an asset to dcski & even though your an underpaid & overworked poster...WE LOVE YOU MAN...Got any bud lite?

PS..one of these days we need to get a "Best of" series going....a rehashes of some of the best bashes!
KeithT
January 30, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
That less than one post a day--not that obsessive. Take non-ski season days away and thats nothing at all. But one weird thing I have noticed on Epic and PA Ski and Board is that they post the busiest traffic days at the bottom of the forum pages and they are June 19 and July 1. Whats up with that??
jimmy
February 17, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
RogerZ belated congratulations on you post 2000. Someone had to do it, you get it and i'm glad it was you.

I was looking for an appropriate topic to make this post in, i'm too lazy to make a new topic right now and Apropos of Nothing caught my eye....... i'm guessing as long as what i post here is Apropos of something other than your milestone it is therefore Apropos of Nothing and OK to post here? I don't really care if it's not apropos but i thought I would be polite and ask anyways.........

So i'm wondering who skied with who where over teh President Day holiday?? Don't tell us how bad the crowd/liftline/service was, only happy thoughts, what was fun about your day.

I had a great weekend at Timberline and skied with so many cool people.

I got to ski with Mrs. Jimmy, my daughter and her boyfriend. Skiing with my girls is special and i wish we could ski together more. BF is new to skiing but is a pretty good ice skater. He went from skiing with the wild shoulder motions of a beginner to quieting his upper body and slowly, confidently making his way down White Lightning in what i'll kindly call challenging conditions. That was cool to see.

I had the pleasure of skiing with Emma, a twelve year old ballerina from charleston. I helped her put skis on for the first time and an hour later got to ski behind her, watching her sweet wedge turns and release her to her mom. Now she's a ballerina/skier. That was cool to see.

I got to ski with all the usual suspects, old friends, new friends, you know who you are we had fun everywhere we went didn't we??

We spend a good bit of energy here debating what's wrong with stuff here but unowut there's an awful lot of right going on here on the mountains of the mid-atlantic, just sayin.......tryin to stay on topic, Apropos of Nothing.
kwillg6
February 17, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I kin agree with Jimmy. Great weekend. Great snow. Sometimes great studnets....but always great friends. Next time we'll do the original recipe. Luv those 8 am groups. Hey, speaking of Apropos, Yesterday's Charleston, WV tabloid did a great article of our mentor, Bobby. I didn't know all that about him. Although not well written, it shed a lot of light on the creation of skiing in the valley. He never told me about the basketball.... only the bowling ball. what a way to lay out ski trails. Would really take a lot of beer to do what they did back in those days. probably PBR sick.
Anyway, see u in March, Jimmy. n-joy your ventures of the next few weeks. grin
David
February 17, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Hey Jimmy, good idea.

Friday I spent most of the day on the bunny slope with a very timid 7 year old. Saturday I hit the jackpot. I skied all day with a 4 year old boy that was an absolute shredder. This little guy skied the entire mountain: green, blue, black, and double black. If anyone has ever skied with a child that was so young and so good you know exactly what an AWESOME experience it is. I'd also recommend doing it if you are looking to pick up chicks too, because I heard nothing but "Ahh, look how cute" all day!! I skied with JohnL and also got to ski with a couple friends from back home, one of which will hit kickers at speeds I would never dream of. Sunday was more of the same because I had the same 4 year old again. Yesterday I spent most of the day getting paid to TAKE (not give) clinics (lessons) with Mike and Shelley, two of Timberline's finest instructors. Did I mention there was powder to be had?????

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the food portion of the weekend. Thursday night at Muttley's I had an 18 ounce NY Strip, soup, salad, and mashed potatoes (for less than 20 bucks). Friday was at Timber's Pub. Saturday evening Jimmy, JohnL, and the rest of the crew had some of WV's finest Italian sausage and peppers. Sunday evening I had a Philly cheesesteak and some wings at the new pizza place in Deerfield (Mama G's I think????) And yesterday I had some "Almost original recipe" chili at Kim's.

KeithT
February 17, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Would really take a lot of beer to do what they did back in those days. probably PBR sick.

Think it was 3.2 back then--so a lot of beer.
fishnski
February 17, 2009
3,530 posts
like Kwill says...Everybody hates Braggers mad...you Mudda!...nice thread Hijack Jimmi...Brought tears to my eyes..course I've been sick as a sick dog & they might be a little runny....There I go complaining again cry
fishnski
February 17, 2009
3,530 posts
Better watch all that red meat David..one of us could be performing CPR on ya down the slopes ...which one of the local yokals do you want to get the mouth to mouth from?
jimmy
February 17, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
Dang Z..I new you were getting up there & feel a little bad that I or another poster gave a heads up to the fact. Anyway your an asset to dcski & even though your an underpaid & overworked poster...WE LOVE YOU MAN...Got any bud lite?

PS..one of these days we need to get a "Best of" series going....a rehashes of some of the best bashes!

life's too short to drink lite beer
TomH
February 17, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Continuing jimmy's good things to say lead, skipped work today to make the Presidents weekend a four day ski weekend (Jimmy-you should have stayed). T-Line was just tremendous. Beautiful hero snow on almost every slope. Skinned Dew Drop with a friend in one degree weather before the lifts opened and finished under blue skies and high twenties in the afternoon. Cudos T-Line.
Roger Z
February 18, 2009
2,181 posts
I spent the weekend in St. Louis, hanging out at my step-grandparents house. Always relaxing, very little skiing, but I did get a nice hike in at the local wildlife refuge and saw a beaver swimming across the pond. Last night coming home from work saw a coyote cross the road. This is the second time in my life I've *seen* a coyote, the first time being... four weeks ago, coming home late from work, about a mile further up the road. I've had coyotes around my tent camping but never seen them until now, ironically commuting to and fro work. They are prettier than I expected them to be, kind of a weird cross between a dog, a wolf, and a fox, but they're still pests. They make it impossible for wolves to resettle. Guess that's not a problem here in eastern Kansas.

Skiing? Nope, nothing this weekend.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.