Blue Knob versus Elk
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
TomH
January 29, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Seen some nice things written about Blue Knob on some of the threads. Generally if I going to venture away from T-Line and make a little further drive I go up to Elk Mountain. Blue Knob looks to be an hour closer to DC. Anyone who has skied both mountains have opinions on how they compare?
BushwackerinPA
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Never skied elk but from what I have heard its all groomers

there is alot of good about Blue Knob, its is MRG south. the skiing is steep, adventous, mostly ungroomed and quircky. every trail there has character from Mambo to Extrovert an expert will have fun on everything there and a beginner has easy but fun ways down as well.

the bad.

Yesterday they kept things closed for no other reason beside its was closed. the entire skiers left side of the mountain didnt open and the extrovert was never open to the top for absolutely no reason. Heck when we poached it there was enough snow to slough on it. No ice, no weird snowmaking, it was closed for no reason.

Also the lax patrol from a couple years ago that were live and let be are no longer like that. They were waiting at the bottom for anyone who came down Run out to warn them that side of the mountain was shut.

Blue Knob is a real gem and they got the good stuff open early this year but they need to keep things open and let people ruin there skis if they want, thats how it use to be and thats how it should be.
TomH
January 29, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
BushwackerinPA - Elk has very strict rules about skiing in trees ect which they enforce, but as far as all groomers that would be false. They have some very sweet bump runs
BushwackerinPA
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
well yeah Blue Knob is pretty much open besides the closed runs ie you can ski the trees coming off a open run if there is enough snow.. If they have big base there is even sidecountry you can do.
Roger Z
January 29, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
If it's a good snow year do Blue Knob. If the snow's lacking, I'd say go Elk. They're further north so they catch (more or less) cooler weather, and have better snowmaking capabilities. And the mogul skiing there is pretty good, as these things go. Also- if you aren't happy you can try Sno/Montage down in Scranton- also 1,000 feet vertical with some good pitches. There's nothing really comparable near BK to bail to.
Ullr
January 30, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
Never skied elk but from what I have heard its all groomers

More or less true. Patrol is very strict there. It is a great ski area, (and in my opinion the best in eastern PA), but BK is indeed a true gem. I would give the knob an edge.
RSparer
January 30, 2009
Member since 12/27/2001 🔗
13 posts
I like Blue knob.It is designed like Snowshoe.The resort ( so to speak) is at the top like Snowshoe. It can get very cold as it use to be an old weather station. Very rustic and it hasn't changed since I have been skiing there...over 20+ years. I would check on the condition b/c there snow making is that great.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Elk is nice and I remember a few dedicated bump runs but nothing steep and no glades. Blue Knob has true expert terrain and glades and good beginner and intermediate terrain too. Look at Bushwack's TR from Thursday and link to the video for a look see. Caution, terrain appears flatter than it is and Josh and Jeff make it look easy but conditions were slow that day. What BK lacks is a true bump run on upper intermediate terrain, no egg carton runs. Of course BK lacks night life or anything else to do but Elk is in the middle of nowhere too.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 30, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Elk is nice and I remember a few dedicated bump runs but nothing steep and no glades. Blue Knob has true expert terrain and glades and good beginner and intermediate terrain too. Look at Bushwack's TR from Thursday and link to the video for a look see. Caution, terrain appears flatter than it is and Josh and Jeff make it look easy but conditions were slow that day. What BK lacks is a true bump run on upper intermediate terrain, no egg carton runs. Of course BK lacks night life or anything else to do but Elk is in the middle of nowhere too.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.