TR -Skiing in a Slurpee Blue Knob, Pa 1/28/09
13 posts
9 users
3k+ views
BushwackerinPA
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
went up to Blue Knob yesterday with my buddy Jeff. after a night of snow, freezing rain in pittsburgh and knowing that that the laurels got hit hard by freezing rain.

this was the scene at Seven Springs yesterday to put it lightly I bet it sucked unless you had WC SL skis with you.

So we drove to Blue Knob, on a very snow road.

In case you have head Blue Knob is know for some great terrain for this area.

Great Terrain like East Wall Glade

Extrovert

and Stembogan where a recent avalanche had happened

crown line visable

and the debris field

so yeah it was overall a decnt day here is a my attemp at trying to polish [censored] video, with [censored] light, but fun skiing.

http://www.vimeo.com/3003673

(PS it would be awesome if there was a way to link vimeo here)
fishnski
January 29, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
love your reports..2 avalanches in the MA in 1 year!!??
BushwackerinPA
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
5 at Wisp, 1 at Blue Knob.

we even had sloughing when we poached Upper Extrovert.

the stembogan slide wasnt set off by us it was just there, I dont know when it went.
jimmy
January 29, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sweet turns bush, love teh stump jumpin, you give goood TR. When you coming to Timberline?
BushwackerinPA
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
when they get snow right now it looks like like next tuesday wednesday could be the day:)

you ski there during the week?
jimmy
January 29, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
When I can. Be around til Monday afternoon unless we go to Snowsho or if we get snowed in Monday i'll be there Tuesday.
JohnL
January 29, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Josh,

Nice turns. How tricky was the snow on Extrovert?

Looks like the cover was pretty good on East Wall; hit any rocks underneath? Appears that BK also cleared some of the brush at the bottom of East Wall.

Mon/Tues next week could be the moment in WVA. I've got a new set of Awd wheels and some vacation time to burn...
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 29, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,987 posts
I can't believe that slide on Stembogen!?! Some of those onthesnow awards are wacky, but they got one category right.

That's some good video and good skiing. The camera doesn't do that terrain justice. Plus you guys are so smooth you make it look too easy. Those videos basically cover some of the absolute toughest terrain in the mid-Atlantic.
BushwackerinPA
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
extrovert felt fine, it was wet and gloppy but I dont find that tricky, I dont find anything but sheer ice tricky and thats mostly because I bang my edge of snow many rocks

on east wall, tons of stuff at snow surface nothing to realy mess up your skis.

tuesday or wedneday will be the day but I might just go back to Blue Knob, its better than timberline.

thanks JimK yeah those slopes looks like nothing on video. the flat light didnt help either.
skier219
January 29, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Very nice!
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,041 posts
Nice TR, Josh. Wow, it looks like they cleaned up the East Wall Glades. I can't wait to try them out. If this next storm brings snow instead of the usual rain the whole mountain should be sweet. Did you ski Shortway and the glades that drop from there?
Ullr
January 30, 2009
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Originally Posted By: BushwackerinPA
5 at Wisp, 1 at Blue Knob.

Not sure if it was posted here or TGR, but here is the mountain cam of the one slide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR5n9xOTjQs

Sorry I couldn't get it to embed
guyforget
January 30, 2009
Member since 01/20/2009 🔗
24 posts
Im curious if you paid any attention to what Lower Shortway and Lower Route 66 looked like...?

Ive been waiting for them to get one of these open to give another way down that side in addition to Stembogen and Ex. Tuesday is looking like it could shape up to be a good $20 day there, Im hoping theyll get one of these other trails online before making the trip.

Thanks in advance.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.