Out west ski resorts close to each other?
10 posts
10 users
1k+ views
ltbluek2
January 28, 2009
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
12 posts
My husband and I are planning for next years ski trip... we would like to go to several resorts that are close by... e.g Park City, UT (PCMR) and Deer Valley resorts in Utah are within 20-30 minutes of each other.

Are there any other resorts out there that are close (within 30 minutes or so) like that?

In addition to PCMR and Deer Valley we have also been to Vail. We liked that we could do two days @ PCMR and two days @ Deer Valley. We liked Vail... but didn't love it like Deer Valley.

btw, my husband and I are strong intermediate to advanced skiers.

Thanks in advance!
TomH
January 28, 2009
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
In Colorado you have Summit County where Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain, A-Basin and Loveland are all within reach.

In California in the Tahoe area you have Heavenly, Kirkwood and Squaw Valley all close together.

In Utah up Little Cottonwood Canyon you have Alta and Snowbird.
JohnL
January 28, 2009
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
- Aspen (Ajax), Aspen Highlands, Snowmass, Buttermilk
- Whistler, Blackcomb
- Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Northstar, Homewood (+Sugar, Heavenly and several other Tahoe areas)
- Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, A-Basin
- Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton (if you stay in SLC)

- Timberline, Canaan Valley, MPC, Tory wink
scootertig
January 28, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Do you generally prefer to stay at the mountain/resort? Or would you consider staying in a centrally-located hotel that provides easy access to several resorts?

What level of luxury do you seek? You mention Deer Valley and Vail, widely regarded as some of the "higher-end" choices. Are you looking for a hotel sort of thing? A rental condo? RV?

Do you enjoy the amenities of a full resort? Or are you just looking for the best intermediate to advanced skiing you can find?

aaron
Murphy
January 28, 2009
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
OnTheSnow.com has Google maps containing just about every resort in the country (and then some). It's a good way to find clusters like you're talking about.
comprex
January 28, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
- Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Cooper Spur, Mount Hood ski bowl
- Lake Louise, Banff/Norquay, Sunshine
- Big Sky/ Moonlight Basin
- Sun Valley/ Soldier Mountain
- Tamarack / Brundage
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
And in Utah, up Big Cottonwood canyon there is Solitude and Brighton. And do not forget The Canyons in Park City.
The Colonel smile
Roger Z
January 28, 2009
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Is this your first trip out west? I'd caution about getting too aggressive at hitting multiple resorts. Once you get up above 1,500 acres of terrain (maybe even 1,000, depending on the layout), you're looking at a single mountain that can easily keep you entertained for 2-3 days. I have found myself disappointed skiing out west because I haven't had time to really explore mountains in the past. Skiing two, maybe three resorts tops would be plenty, if you're planning on going for a week or less. Otherwise all you're really doing is getting a small sample without fully appreciating the terrain in which you find yourself.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
January 29, 2009
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Hey dont forget "The Peaks" program.

Vail
Beaver Creek
Keystone
Breckeridge

all have interchangeable tickets and are reasonable close. I stayed in Vail last time and most skied at Beaver.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Originally Posted By: ltbluek2
My husband and I are planning for next years ski trip... we would like to go to several resorts that are close by... e.g Park City, UT (PCMR) and Deer Valley resorts in Utah are within 20-30 minutes of each other.

btw, my husband and I are strong intermediate to advanced skiers.

Thanks in advance!

I've skied in the Tahoe area and enjoyed it. Certainly plenty to choose from in terms of lodging and ski resorts. I liked Heavenly, Kirkwood, Homewood, and Northstar. Never made it to Squaw.

For SLC, having skied a few places there is only one I want to go back to . . . Alta. I could ski there for a week and not get bored. (I can ski any SE black run, all blues out west, and easier blacks out west when I'm not tired.)

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?