9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
joeskier
January 25, 2009
Member since 01/25/2009 🔗
5 posts
What's up with their lifts?

This weekend the tyrol chair, polarbear express, gunner all were stopped for extended periods.

They seem to stop a lot anyway! I mean what can cause 2 high speed detachable chairs to stop at least twice everytime we were on them? It was pretty expensive to sit around in the air.

7S made the ones at Timberline seem like express lifts! What's up with that?

Oh and the food is really expenses compared to what I remembered. The quality was pretty low too.

On the cool side...
They were working on a what looks to be a really big super pipe - but it wasn't ready for this weekend.
The expanded goggle was really nice but it shut down pretty early.
Had a ussa mogal comp that was rock'n for kids - that was pretty neat to watch!!
The new Alley run was a blast - great place to ride. :-)

However, most likely we'll stay closer to home next time - too long of drive to sit on lifts. Oh well - just tad frustrated after a long weekend! JS
skier219
January 25, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
If it's like other ski resorts in the mid-A, it was probably because of people botching the load at the bottom, or falling when they get off at the top.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Joe, Welcome to DCSki. Glad to have you aboard.
Tell us a bit about yourself: where you ski, live, age, etc.
The Colonel smile
pac
January 26, 2009
Member since 11/8/2004 🔗
37 posts
Been a long time lurker (Leesburg area) and thought I had a set up on the site way back but guess not. I'm older than I want to me but feel young enough to go have fun. cool
Just an average slider that likes to ride & ski.
Ride and ski mostly in WV based on my brother having a place in Cannan valley (free place to use a hot tube and sleep).
Skied a Bristol NY weekend last due to work (Rochester area) and found that place pretty cool (really nice grooming), skied Hidden Valley when it was "for free" back pre-Xmas (a real zoo but the price was right), and then 7S this last weekend.
Maybe I sounded bitter on my 7S post but that was due to sitting on a lift for "about-ever" (okay ~10 minutes but it was C-O-L-D eek ) with some locals while hearing their complaints. The changes there really have them up in arms. Heard a lot of "nutting" and pirate jokes! smile
Love the site and hearing what others think about places and TRs. JS
rbrtlav
January 26, 2009
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
When I was up there over MLK weekend there were 2 complaints that people had concerning the lifts. The Gunnar Lift stopping, one of the season ticket holders told us that the manufacturer had been back several times due to the poor reliability of that lift, and the lines at the Avalanche lift, the first time we went to 7S, that lift had no line, now there is always a 10 minute wait.

However, when we were there the Tyrol and Polar lifts never stopped for more than about 30 seconds,the only long stop we had was about 5 minutes on Gunnar, and besides Gunnar, Avalanche, and the Polar lifts there were no lines.

But we did see some changes we didn't like, like the prices, and the removal of the snack bar upstairs, even though the new Goggle looks nice. However, skiing wise we felt like everything was in decent order(rentals, lifts, other than Gunnar, and slopes) we will continue to do atleast one trip to 7s a year.
RobertW
January 26, 2009
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
I'm a mid-week passholder so my perspective is different from skiing there on weekends (when the personality of the area is really different). I've been up 10 times this season (4 times in the last 2 weeks) and here is what I like/don't like this year.

I like the Gunnar Chair. It hasn't stopped yet on me despite all the scuttlebutt I've heard about it being broken. 3 minutes up, 2 minutes down, you can't beat it. I've never understood why a detachable lift needs to stop.

I like that the Gunnar chair draws what few people are there leaving North Face and its slow quad and multiple fall-lines very empty. I have found untracked lines there well into the afternoon the last 2 weeks.

I like the new carpet in the base lodge. If you ever walked across the old floor in wet ski boots, you know what I mean. I also like the new tables and chairs.

I don't like that Tahoe Lodge never seems to be open for food service anymore.

I don't like the higher food prices. There doesn't seem to be as much of a selection (probably a weekday thing) although they still have the vegetarian chili.

I really miss Alpine Meadows and the glades there.

I'm ambivalent about the grooming. There seems to be less of it, which is good (after a dump) or bad (after a thaw/freeze). A lot of grooming/snowmaking resources now seem to be committed to the parks/pipes.
wvrocks
January 27, 2009
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Originally Posted By: joeskier

7S made the ones at Timberline seem like express lifts! What's up with that?

Now there is a line you don't hear everyday... or ever...

Trust me, the lifts at Timberline were not moving quickly this past weekend either.
snowslider
January 27, 2009
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
42 posts
I want to hear more about that half-pipe creation.
RobertW
January 27, 2009
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
Originally Posted By: snowslider
I want to hear more about that half-pipe creation.

http://www.7springs.com/page/category.detail/nav/5313/Terrain-Parks.html
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?