Snowshoe Weather
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
John
October 27, 2001
Member since 12/24/2002 🔗
3 posts
Where can I get a Snowshoe weather report? All the web sites I've seen, including Snowshoe's are Elkins, which gets 1/3 the snow, is 2900 ft lower, and 10+ degrees warmer..Snowshoe is my favorite, and the only hill that gets real snow, but yeah an internet snow forecast would be cool..
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 27, 2001
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I use Intellicast:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalStd.asp?loc=uswvct24001&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=Forecasts&product=Forecast&prodnav=none&pid=none

Snowshoe is at a much higher altitude than Elkins so the weather is usually completely different. Canaan, Timberline and Snowshoe are calling for snow today!!!!!!!! Can't ask for better weather than that.

PS If that URL does not work, go to www.intellicast.com and search by state. Both Snowshoe and Timberline appear as separate listings in the list of state forecasts.

PPS NOA maintains official weather stations at both mountains so the forecasts are controlled not by the mountains but an objective third party.

Scott - DCSki Editor
October 27, 2001
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Snowshoe updates a weather report on their web site at:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/winter01/snowreport.html

I'm not sure if the 5-day forecast is based on Snowshoe or Elkins, but the page has commentary from Snowshoe which will include information on weather on the mountaintop. (Of course, this commentary is not from an objective source, but I've found that Snowshoe tends to be quite honest in their reports - they don't want you driving many hours for a lousy experience, since they'd rather have repeat business from happy visitors.)

- Scott

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 29, 2001
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Well.... it was not supposed to, but we had six wonderful inches of snow during the weekend. Went there Friday nite to "winterize" my place and arrived in a snowstorm that didn't let up until Sunday AM. Although it wasn't forecasted, it was significant.

Understanding that Elkins airport is at 1987 feet, and that Snowshoe is at 4840 feet, that is roughly three thousand feet difference. The good rule of thumb (except with temperature inversions) is that there will be a 2 degree Celsius per thousand feet. Which means 6 degrees Celsius or roughly 11 degrees Farenheit. Take the forecast for Elkins, substract the temperature difference, and you have a fairly good idea of what the weather at the Shoe will be. If it's 40 degrees Farenheit at Elkins, it should be snowing at Snowshoe.

Lou

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?