Directions to Snowshoe
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
GDWindowpane
January 20, 2009
Member since 07/9/2008 🔗
43 posts
Before I get the provervial slam for not searching, I have searched. And found directions to Snowshoe. However everything I've found is for originating from DC Metro area (understood this is DCSki). However, for those of us in the southern reaches of the DC Metro area what's the best route?

We'll be leaving Fredericksburg (western Spotsy County) so a 64 west solution would be best. I know the best route to 64 so picking it from there...

Snowshoe's website says:

1-64 West to I-81 North to Staunton, VA, West on US-250 then South on 42 to Goshen, VA, then WV-39 West to Marlinton, WV, then 26 miles North on US-219 to Snowshoe.

A buddy of mine that has been going for years says this is the best way:

64 west to 81 ( Gas up Waynesboro!)
81 north toward Stanton to second exit. (Woodrow Wilson Park Way/ 250 by pass.) Take this exit to Rt 250 to Monterey
Follow 250 to Monterey (apro 1 hour travel time over 4/5 ridges. Some of these switch back can catch you off guard so stay focused on the road.
Take left on to RT 220 at light (only light) in Monterey. Follow aprox 2 miles. ( 1 hour form Monterey to Snowshoe)
Right on Rt 84 to Frost. Aprox 16 miles I think.
At Frost right turn on to RT 92 toward Dunmore/Cass. Follow to Rt 66. (you will see a SnowShoe sign at intersection)
Left on 66 to Cass. ( aprox 8 miles to Cass) Cross over river and continue on 66 to Snowshoe. You will make a 6/7 mile climb and then start down. Aprox 2/3 miles down you will run into the first Snowshoe entrance.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Chris
fishnski
January 20, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Your buddies route is the one I have used from Wilmington,nc..250 is a bitch but the other roads roll!..there will be some more input to ponder I'm sure..
kwillg6
January 20, 2009
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I've done em all. It's really a matter of what you get used to. I do not recommend the suggested Snowshoe route they publish. It takes you too far south and then you have that bearish mountain out of marlington on 219N. I have always done the Rt 33 to Judy Gap then turn south on Rt 28 and fly it to Greenbank. I live in southern Culpeper Co and can be pulling into the Shavers Center inside of 3.5 hours on dry roads that way.
MichaelME
January 20, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts
[quote=GDWindowpane]

We'll be leaving Fredericksburg (western Spotsy County) so a 64 west solution would be best. I know the best route to 64 so picking it from there...

the best way:

64 west to 81
81 north toward Stanton to second exit (~3 mi). (Woodrow Wilson Park Way/ 250 by pass.) Take this exit to Rt 250 to Monterey
Follow 250 to Monterey (apro 1 hour travel time over 4/5 ridges. Some of these switch back can catch you off guard so stay focused on the road. Heed the the 3ft black arrows. particularly the first just after you enter Geo. Wast. Nat, Forest
Take left on to RT 220 at light (only light) in Monterey.Intersection of 250 and 220 BP station good place to fuel Follow aprox 4 miles. ( 1 hour from Monterey to Snowshoe)
Right on Rt 84 to Frost. Aprox 18 miles.
At Frost right turn on to RT 92 at the Y toward Dunmore/Cass. Follow to Rt 66. (you will see a SnowShoe sign at intersection)
Left on 66 to Cass. ( aprox 8 miles to Cass) Cross over river and continue on 66 to Snowshoe. You will make a 6/7 mile climb.Snowshoe access rd entrance on the right.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Made this trip a couple of times from Richmond area the past 2 weeks. It's the fastest/easiest 3.5hrs from 288/64 intersect. From Staunton on it goes pretty quickly. 250 is good road, just stay on your toes. From Monteray it is 1 hour and the drive is beautiful, mostly all flat valley until just before Cass.

From Cass on, watch out for the Bloated Suv's with Napoleonic complex drivers cutting the corners short or trying to intimidate you, just grin and give'm the peace sign.

[edit] older gentleman at BP station(somewhat local)handed me these printed directions and assured me it was the best way.
GDWindowpane
January 21, 2009
Member since 07/9/2008 🔗
43 posts
Thanks for all of the info... Can't wait until Sunday!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.