5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Lou,
It has been years since I have ventured to Marlington when staying at Snowshoe. Is there a decent market there, or is the nearest large market in Elkins?
Thanks,
The Colonel smile
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Best bet is coming down 55/28, stop at the Food Lion in Moorefield. That's 90 miles away. Marlinton has a food shop on 219, mediocre. On the other hand, in Beverly, on 219, there is the best butcher shop in West Virginia.
Tucker
January 15, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
We just had a cow butchered at Campbell's Market in Beverly. They also have excellent cuts for sale. I would recommend them for sure.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2009
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
its a ski trip, what do you need ? spaghetti, pbj, wine, beer, oreos? you can get that anywhere.

My question is this: when I leave shoe in the morning, where do I stop for good biscuits on the way south ?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2009
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker
We just had a cow butchered at Campbell's Market in Beverly. They also have excellent cuts for sale. I would recommend them for sure.

That's the one. I had forgot the name. But I was really impressed. In my many postings overseas, especially in South America, I learned the difference between freshly butchered meat which is the rule in meat eating places like Argentina and Uruguay, and the United States, where our meat is usually aged artificially. Not so at Campbells. It was the freshest meat I've ever seen in a US market. Which means you need to tenderize or marinate it a bit, but frankly, once you've had a genuine true fresh steak, the difference is palpable.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?