Beginner skier - PA this weekend?
12 posts
8 users
3k+ views
Hillsong7
January 14, 2009
Member since 01/14/2009 🔗
7 posts
Hi. My name is Donna and I've just started skiing again after about 20 years. I skiied the begginner and intermediate slopes at a small resort in Michigan over Christmas, and recently skiied the Paradise slope at Blue Mountain, PA. I'm interested in possibly skiing this weekend in PA but couldn't find on your site here any groups of folks going. Anyone skiing in PA this weekend that is open to a beginner skiier tagging along? I just registered on this site so I'm still finding my way around it. Thanks! Donna
comprex
January 14, 2009
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Hillsong7 welcome to the forums. I don't think there are any group plans for the weekend yet.
Hillsong7
January 14, 2009
7 posts
Ok, thanks!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 14, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Hillsong7, WELCOME!
Tell us a little about yourself. Where you live, ski alone or with family, whatever that helps DCSkiers provide the best possible answers to any questions you might have.
Again, WELCOME!
The Colonel smile
Hillsong7
January 14, 2009
7 posts
Hello all! I live in Elkridge, Maryland which is right outside of the Baltimore. I've become interested in skiing again after not doing it in 20 years. I recently skiied in Michigan with my sister and her family and then skiied Blue Mountain, PA. I'm single and would like to ski w/others who are able to tolerate my beginner-ness! Don't own equipment, have to rent it. Much as I would love to do the big skiing in Utah or Vermont, for now I'd like to ski PA/VA-area places w/others. Don't know if you have planned trips, or if folks take off at the last minute. Thanks for your help!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts
Have you considered Massanutten? Will be there MLK weekend. Also in early Feb. A mom who skis with daughter and daughter's friend. Look under My Stuff and check out how to deal with private messages (PMs).

Welcome!

Marz in Raleigh
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2009
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Hidden Valley is a great place for beginning skiers and the snow conditions will be excellent this weekend. I will be skiing there.
gizmosnow
January 15, 2009
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
AS I just finished posting elsewhere......

Just came in from several hours on the slopes at HV and can assure you, from personal experience, the conditions in the laurels are spectacular. Looked out the window this morning to about 12+ inches of pure 'fluff' on the bench in my back yard and found it on the slopes as well. Plus, blue skies and no wind and it was a beautiful day despite the readings on the thermometer. HV was making snow on Stingray and the North slopes (didn't go over) and I suspect everything will be open for this weekend.
Hillsong7
January 20, 2009
7 posts
I just came back from skiing at Elk Mountain in Northeastern PA for 2 days. First time there, it was great. I don't know what others experiences are yet, but I find I ski great in powder, but have a much harder time when it's icy or an icy crust. Because there was a lot of powder, I was able to progress from the Beginner to Intermediate to a Black D slope by the end of 2 solid days of skiing. It was 2 degrees there but covered head to toe, no problem. Kept going all day. Elk Mountain was a great place to ski!
Crush
January 20, 2009
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Originally Posted By: Hillsong7
Hello all! ... I'm single .. love to do the big skiing in Utah ...

... well of course you should hook up with me. really. actually you should only ski with me. i'm very cute and write very well and on the David Wechsler IQ I test at 138 . and i used to be a photography model as well.

and i cleaned Lance Brevard's clock at the now-defunct WSI GS race @ blueknob and got fastest time of the day.

.. oh did i mention i have a very high regard for myself and my poetry?

- and - i have a very large - err - sense of self-deprecating humor.

.. hmm "hillsong" nice handle - gonna have to steal that for som'thin' ...

;-)
Hillsong7
January 20, 2009
7 posts
Umm, okay Crush, thanks for welcoming me into the group here and giving such a colorful introduction to yourself!
wojo
January 20, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
I skied Elk on Sunday. It was great. Snow was stupendous and there was snow all day. You picked a great mountain to ski.
Sunday was way up there on best east coast days ever.

I followed Sunday at Elk with Monday at Sno Mt. Another superb day with great snow, but a completely different mountain. What a weekend on the east coast.

Wooo hoooo!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.