board bag recommendations
6 posts
3 users
2k+ views
Fleetwood
January 9, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
I am currently scheduled to travel to Reno for work in mid-March and plan to take the opportunity to snowboard out west for the first time ever! My co-worker has a "Colorado Pass" that will get him discount lift tickets at Heavenly, so we are probably going there.

My question though is about board bags for air travel. I've done a little research, and the Burton Wheelie Gig Bag (http://www.backcountry.com/store/BUR2437/Burton-Wheelie-Gig-Bag.html) seems like a good bag at a decent price.

If any of you snowboarders out there have first-hand info on this bag, or recommmendations for others, I'd appreciate it.
SeaRide
January 9, 2009
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
The Burton Wheelie Gig Bag looks similar as mine. I bought mine long time ago and still use it for air travel. Be sure to get the bag few cm larger than your board. My board bag size is about 165cm and my board is 163cm. I can pack helmet, gloves, boots and pants in the bag (just lay the pants flat on board inside).
The boots goes in between the bindings in the boxy part of the bag. Hard to explain how to pack but it's worth it everytime I travel out west.
I just wear it on my back like backpack and one hand pulling the other big luggage on wheels so I have one hand free for whatever I need to do (i.e. push button in elevator, open door, pager, coffee, open rental car door). I guess shoulder strap is fine depending how strong you are. Mine doesn't come with wheelies but that could be nice to have.
Fleetwood
January 13, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Thanks for the feedback SeaRide (you don't surf do you?). I've been thinking about checking out http://rentskis.com/ or a similar place where I can rent a decent setup. That will save me the hassle and expense of purchasing the bag, paying baggage fees, and hauling it around all for one day of snowboarding. It will also give me an opportunity to try out a different board. I probably will pack my boots though.
SeaRide
January 13, 2009
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I fly Southwest which means no baggage fees. I always forget about other airlines charging fees (hassle). If you are going snowboarding for one day "once a while" then I'd agree with you on renting different board. Yes on pack the boots. It's your boots that fit so take it with you.
I am flying out to Utah tomorrow so I am pretty much set on snowboarding EVERYDAY until Tuesday.
snowslider
January 27, 2009
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
42 posts
I own and have used the Burton Wheelie Locker.
Having a bag with wheels rather than having to carry is a very nice luxury. My bag has been on 3 airline trips stuffed with numerous boards, a pair or two of bindings, and a pair or two of boots, with some clothes added in the nooks and crannies. since you really never have to carry it. it is nice to load a lot into it, and wow does it hold a lot.
The Gig bag is a little smaller than the wheelie locker.
I have flown Southwest and the weight of my bag has never been an issue. (but it has been with other bags).

If you are not familiar with Burton bags, they have all the bells and whistles. I love Burton's high end bags. the least expensive ones, are just that simple. but the high end bags are really tricked out.
Fleetwood
January 28, 2009
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?