Snowstorm This Week
32 posts
16 users
5k+ views
bawalker
March 15, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Looks like tonite/this week Timberline, Canaan, Wisp should get another 6-10" as forecasted by various news outlets. Looks like I was wrong about the season ending.

[Smile]
KevR
March 15, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Perhaps this saturday I will try my goofy idea of driving 4 hrs for half or so day of skiing at either t-line or canaan...

[Confused]
ski_guy_59
March 15, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
6 to 10? that's great stuff, considering I'm headed up from Florida this weekend!
danwxman
March 16, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Why do my posts keep getting deleted?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
WVK2rider
March 16, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
7 posts
As of 5:30 this morning, we were getting freezing rain/rain in Canaan. The temp was about 30 and falling. I heard that Garrett County to the north was getting some wet snow around 7 am so hopefully the rain will change over in the valley too.
bawalker
March 16, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I was wondering if there were a few people going to Timberline on Sat if maybe a few of us should meet for lunch and exchange a dcski welcome?
warren
March 16, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
bawalker,
I'll be at Snowshoe this weekend so at least I'll be in WV. I'll think of you guys and DC Ski while I'm there... [Wink]

-Warren-
danwxman
March 16, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Snowshoe is getting screwed in this storm with freezing rain and rain, hopefully they can make it up with some snow later this week....I'll probably be headed to BK this weekend. It's snowing all across the Laurel Highlands this afternoon (some rain mixing in in the 7 Springs Area) with about 5-6". BK is expecting up to 12".
KevR
March 16, 2004
786 posts
Ok, is there any precendence for say whitetail to reopen if we received a pile snow here late in march? Not that I have any great shakes to ski at whitetail BUT it is close by...

I also wonder (and doubt) whether one couldn't (dare I suggest), just hike up the trail on foot and ski... it does seem like it has some snow on it. No doubt someone must be there to shoo folks away. I can't believe this is a new idea.

[Confused]
Roger Z
March 16, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
KevR- we were just talking about hike 'n ski here at the office. No, it's not a new idea but whether WT would let you/me/anyone get away with it is another matter. It's tempting to think about though... though maybe given how bad the conditions were this weekend, RT or Liberty would be a safer bet for your ski... [Smile]
wgo
March 16, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Anyone know if the rain in CV turned into snow today?
andy
March 16, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
The canaan hts web cam(3700')showed it dumping snow all day long,but when you could get a shot of the valley fl it was barely white.probably a lot of wet snow & not much sticking.The trees looked white at 3700'.Talked to the owner of the golden anchor across from MPC & he said he has not been able to see much of the mtn since it is in the clouds but says it looks white & icy when the clouds lift a little.Snowshoe has been above freezing all day....Latitude rogerz & a little to much carbon monoxide!!
Roger Z
March 16, 2004
2,181 posts
Andy I think you meant too much carbon DI-oxide. If there was too much carbon MON-oxide in the air we'd all be dead. [Eek!]

Anyway soon the next ice age will begin (remember our discussions about the gulf stream subversion?) and we'll all be x-c skiing in April in Atlanta and downhill skiing on a 4000 foot vertical mountain in NC! [Big Grin] Okay it might be fanciful but a man can dream, can't he???
KevR
March 16, 2004
786 posts
Oooooooooooooor, we could just all pile in the plane and head to Snowbird/Alta for 2 days. Take a non-stop via Southwest -- $99 each way (if we can get it), 2 nights lodging plus 2 super passes -- $100+$88 (includes snow bus tix), shuttle to/from airport -- $28, 2 lunches slopeside -- $20, TOTAL: $200+$100+$88+$28+$20 = $436 approx.

hmmmm, kinda cheap but then not really.

[Frown]
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 16, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I don't recall any precedent for a resort like Whitetail re-opening due to a March snowstorm. Once they decide to pull the plug on the season, that's a pretty firm decision, and they let go all of their seasonal employees. It takes a lot of work to bring a resort on-line. (Consider things like stocking food in the cafeteria, too.)

Also remember that the decisions to close are usually based on lack of people vs. lack of snow. Most people simply put the skis away when March rolls around. Whitetail still had/has coverage on enough trails to have weathered another week if the numbers were there..

With respect to hiking Whitetail -- I wouldn't even think about it. (Ok, you can think about it, but don't do it!) Whitetail has 24/7 security and resorts will arrest anyone that trespasses. It's private property, and they need to enforce the rules to keep the insurance companies happy.

- Scott
danwxman
March 16, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
That white on the trees was from ice and sleet, not much snow unfortunately. A general two inches of snow fell in Garret county, with 3-6" across Somerset county...I don't know BK's total.
PhysicsMan
March 16, 2004
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Actually, I seem to recall that several years ago, WT actually did re-open once for the last weekend in March. OTOH, I think they were anticipating this and they weren't in full shutdown mode. I'm sure it was done for bragging rights.

Tom / PM
twin58
March 17, 2004
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
The webcams at Whitetail and Liberty show wonderful new snow covering their slopes. Such irony.
andy
March 17, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Allright tree dodger roger,you skiing professer..thanks for the correction teach! Kevr some of us don't have the lux of bieng close to airports with nonstop flts out west.It was a 9hr process for me to get to vail.+ mucho denero.(from ILM in wilmington,NC)& weather Dan if 2400' garrett co can get 2" & 3800'canaan hts or 4500' wies knob can't get anything but sleet & ice,This storm like a few others this year were all about latitude & not altitude.The resorts to the north of CV are above ave this year while CV is at ave & SS is below ave.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 17, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Blue Knob website says they got 10" on Mar 16 and are expecting 3-4" more today, Mar 17. A lot of their best trails are still open. Hmmm.

Any suppliers of first hand BK info out there?
wgo
March 17, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I remember a couple years ago that a small hill in Wisconsin I used to ski (Tyrol Basin) closed for the season but put a message on their website saying that if enough people contacted them they would reopen for the next weekend. Again, though, this means they probably didn't go into full shutdown mode, so it really isn't a precedent for whether WT could reopen this weekend.

It was still a cool thing for them to do, though.
PhysicsMan
March 17, 2004
218 posts
Plattekill, a relatively small area in NYS does something similar. If they get a big dump midweek and they were scheduled to be closed, they email the faithful and open up for the day. They often (always) leave everything ungroomed for the first day. That appeals to the east coast powder purists as well as makes the re-opening process easier. For all I know, their cafeteria might be "brown bag only" on these days to avoid issues with stocking of food.

Tom / PM
MRPLOW
March 17, 2004
Member since 12/23/2003 🔗
27 posts
I was at ski denton this past Saturday for the last day of skiing for the year.

But there website says to check back, they might open this weekend.

P.S. ski Denton is also the coolest small ski resort I have ever been to. With only 650 vertical it has some of the steepest slopes in the midatlantic, including glade skiing. No attitude here, I will be back if I'm ever in the area again. While I was there I also saw the ski patrol help build a jump. It looks like there is tons of woods skiing here when there is snow.
PhysicsMan
March 18, 2004
218 posts
Yup, the first time I went up to Denton, I had a similar reaction. It's a great little area, but then I'm a complete sucker for down-home, old-fashioned areas like Denton, Bromley and Magic.

BTW, while I guess it's correct to classify Denton as "mid-Atlantic", given that its only a few tens of miles from the NYS border and has a completely different feel from the usual gang of mid-Atlantic hills, I find it kinda hard to put it into that category.

Tom / PM
ski_guy_59
March 18, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Whitegrass is reporting 2+ inches at 7 a.m. from the latest clipper!
Roger Z
March 18, 2004
2,181 posts
I'd ditto that comment on Denton too-- definitely a Mad River Glen feel to it. I love laid back casual hills wherever you can find them!
TOMF
March 18, 2004
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
My daughter spent this morning (March 18) skiing at Snowshoe in the Western Territory. She called me at noon to say that there were three inches of new snow last night and skiing conditions were "awesome."
andy
March 18, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
A lot of you gave up didn't you?Don't ever count march out..It aint over till the fat snowwoman sings!PS..The nws report for canaan was 3.5" of new.23 degrees was the high yest at 3700' & big bad Beaver Ck,CO had to close for the season 2 days ago!Any marketing going on up at the DC area? A lot of people just dont understand whats going on up in the highlands.Snowy luau at TL.Never missed one for years but went up there last week instead.Camelback,pa looks like a winner this coming w-end- lots of freshies
JohnL
March 18, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
quote:
big bad Beaver Ck,CO had to close for the season 2 days ago
Flashback to the 60's or a senior moment? Beaver Creek is 100 percent open right now.
andy
March 18, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
My bad! That was a haste makes waste moment.Was cking out rsn & they had an update that said beaver ck mtn had closed.What other mtn is named like that?Anyway didn't pay enough att & figured with all the warmth they have had out west that maybe that was poss.Sure would like to bring this morn report back up & read it again.Anyway 32degrees at 3700' & snowing good from what i see from the new web cam..but maybe i should get my eyes cked!I came out my mammy's drawers in 1960 So it must be the dc metrobus fumes I inhaled all those years.
andy
March 18, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Thats canaan hts webcam at 3700'. I guess beaver ck should be open since they start at 8100'.Got a little on us (little guys)in the WV alps,Were hanging tough though
andy
March 19, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Follow up...just looked up avon,co at the base of beaver ck. The temp was 68 for a high today with temps f-casted to be 65 to 75 for the next week.won't be long at those temps.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?